brake booster and cylinder upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
Not only is it possible, it's super easy since all the parts are a direct bolt in replacement. As we all know, all GM parts are interchangeable. What makes it even better is that pedal effort will be decreased by 30% and breaking will increase by 40%. You'll also get the added benefit of ABS. Enjoy your newly discovered upgrade. I've got a feeling it's the next big thing in the Gbody world.

How do you get ABS out of a master cylinder/booster swap? ABS is controlled by a computer, it has sensors at the wheels, it takes more than a master cylinder and a booster to have ABS.

shanghaismith

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2010
Macon, GA

mymontess

Greasemonkey
Dec 23, 2014
North York, Ontario, Canada
Distribution (front/back or diagonal split) would be determined by the plumbing at the proportioning valve, not the master cylinder. Reason being, drum brakes require a residual pressure valve and later cars having 4 wheel disc brakes don't require it. So for drum brake equipped cars, it would have to be a front rear split system 4 wheel disc brakes system are split diagonally.The master cylinder just pushes fluid into the system for the brakes to work, that's all it does. The proportioning valve directs where the fluid goes. Also, diagonally split cars have 1 bore for the front and rear lines, drum brakes master cylinders usually have a larger bore for the drum brakes. I'd stick with dual bore if you still have drum brakes, single if you have all disc brakes.

That being said, you're limited by the fittings and what they will fit.

Of course you are correct. I was thinking of some of the early FWD GM's, but now that I think of it, they had a prop. valve that attached directly to the master.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor