brake booster and cylinder upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2015
hi has anyone ever out a 200-2005 monte brake booster and master cylinder in a 81-88 g body i own a 86 mc ss and was thinking about this swap is it possible and if so how hard would it be??
thank you

Reactions: 1 user

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Do you mean a master cylinder and booster from a 2000-2005 Monte Carlo? If you don't mind me asking, why are you considering this type of swap? Is there supposed to be an advantage to doing something like this?

• Useful

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
your Username implies that you know what's up with G body's...:p But in all seriousness, why would you want to swap in a FWD brake booster and master cylinder in a RWD ride?? I did a base c6 front vette brake upgrade along with a c6 ls1 rear brake upgrade on my 85 GP and didn't change anything!! not even the proportioning valve! stops hella good! I could upgrade to a B body master cylinder and booster along with a gutted proportioning valve to improve the brake system, but haven't made the decision yet! IMO the FWD system is a way different route , is it something new?? :p

Feb 18, 2015
Do you mean a master cylinder and booster from a 2000-2005 Monte Carlo? If you don't mind me asking, why are you considering this type of swap? Is there supposed to be an advantage to doing something like this?
well i was thinking better braking power with a 4 wheel disc brake conversion

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'd be leery about doing something like this. You're talking about taking the master cylinder and booster from a newer vehicle that's FWD, and has ABS, and transplanting it onto a vehicle that's 20 years older, RWD, and doesn't have ABS. The brake proportionong between the 2 vehicles is likely to be different, and the master cylinder bore size, and the amount of assist from the booster is likely to be different as well. You could possibly end up making the braking efficiency of the '80s car worse. In my opinion, you'd be better off to stick to either a properly engineered conversion for the car, or at the very least, stick to using conversion parts from a car that's similiar to the '80s car. Just my $0.02.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
I dont think anyone here has done that type of swap.
If your looking to upgrade your brakes from factory (which is a great idea) there are many proven methods and most are pretty simple to do.
Anything from upgraded front dual piston calipers and S10 rear cylinders to 4 wheel disc kits can be bought complete with instructions. All depends on the $$$$.
Let us know if any of that sounds interesting , and I/we will give you more info on it.
HTH

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
You can upgrade the brake booster. 86 Montes usually have a single diaphragm brake booster but other g body models such as Regals have better dual diaphragm brake boosters you can swap in. Dual diaphragm brake boosters provide more assist with braking and give a better pedal feel. There are also even larger diameter dual diaphragm boosters from B bodies that will fit in G bodies too. There isn't much that can be done about upgrading the master cylinder itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor