BRAKE BOOSTER CHOICE HELP/REVIEW

toyinhawaii

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2022
Strange!! reposting my thread, looks like it disappeared after i edited it:

My Original booster is bad (via testing), i think i pulled the trigger on this to soon as the Blazer booster and reservoir would have been a good choice as well (let me know if this is true), but what is done is done. I have an 84' elky with an LT1 and Blazer brake set up, only in the front but i do have the rear disc ready to go , so still have the drums in rear. i bought the below on Ebay and was wondering if you guys had any experience with this, seems like that seller sells a lot of them. There are no identifying marks, engraving or stickers on it, so cant really identify a mfr. But of course when in doubt assume china made. i pulled the old booster off and noticed the 4 mounting studs are larger than the new ones are. The chrome nuts are 13 mm and the OEM is 15 mm, bolt pattern is the same but the studs on the chrome one seems just a little shorter... approx. 1/8". when they say 8", they are talking about the diaphragm diameter?? so i measured both and it is 8" but in a different location and also the booster is smaller than the OEM . does what i have look right.. as far as the size differences. is something like this a normal aftermarket OEM replace/ performance replacement? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• BOOSTER1 (2).jpg
    BOOSTER1 (2).jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 17
  • BOOSTER1.jpg
    BOOSTER1.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 16

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Buy either a factory dual diaphragm 9" booster for late model G Body (post '82), or get a 12" dual diaphragm booster from a 1990 Caprice, or use the Blazer one. Get a master with a bore of 1.125" or 1.25". Look into the disc/disc proportioning valve.

Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
From that seller, it's probably a Hoffman group product ...Hoffman has a terrible reputation on a lot of boards. The seller's feedback isn't great, either

Totally unrelated, but I went to 1-3rd grade in Hudson Iowa. Little town, was surprised to see so much stuff coming out of there

Reactions: 1 users

toyinhawaii

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2022
Buy either a factory dual diaphragm 9" booster for late model G Body (post '82), or get a 12" dual diaphragm booster from a 1990 Caprice, or use the Blazer one. Get a master with a bore of 1.125" or 1.25". Look into the disc/disc proportioning valve.
Thanks for the info, saw ROCK AUTO has a QUALITY BUILT B 1091 for an '81 and a B1039 for an "84. how is the quality remans of a "Quality rebulit"? I dont care for Cardone stuff, they are 50/50. Both are dual diaphragm ,is the older G body gens better? RA has this for the '90 Caprice (below) which is the bettter to choose from?. And for the Blazer brake swap we can do on the 98-02's is there any year that is more better for the booster? And yes i did get a proportioning valve from summit racing when i did the blazer brake swap. Considering the size differences between the chrome ebay one i got and my OEM.... is a larger booster the best way to go? What is the adequate vacuum PSI to have for our G bodies ? Is what they sold me adequate for a G body of my size and weight ?Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the knowledge on Boosters, not to knowledgeable in that area.

Reactions: 1 user

toyinhawaii

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2022
From that seller, it's probably a Hoffman group product ...Hoffman has a terrible reputation on a lot of boards. The seller's feedback isn't great, either

Totally unrelated, but I went to 1-3rd grade in Hudson Iowa. Little town, was surprised to see so much stuff coming out of there
Hoffman?? never heard of them. i asked the seller a question before i bought the booster. "is the reservoir and cover chrome plated plastic or metal"... they never replied, but then about 5 days later i ordered. its all steel and looks like the reservoir is iron. i finally got it installed , bench bled the reservoir and the brakes. took it out for a drive and .... its ok. thats why i was asking about what should the proper vacuum psi i should have.

Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Thanks for the info, saw ROCK AUTO has a QUALITY BUILT B 1091 for an '81 and a B1039 for an "84. how is the quality remans of a "Quality rebulit"? I dont care for Cardone stuff, they are 50/50. Both are dual diaphragm ,is the older G body gens better? RA has this for the '90 Caprice (below) which is the bettter to choose from?. And for the Blazer brake swap we can do on the 98-02's is there any year that is more better for the booster? And yes i did get a proportioning valve from summit racing when i did the blazer brake swap. Considering the size differences between the chrome ebay one i got and my OEM.... is a larger booster the best way to go? What is the adequate vacuum PSI to have for our G bodies ? Is what they sold me adequate for a G body of my size and weight ?Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the knowledge on Boosters, not to knowledgeable in that area.

I don't mind the questions, I'm just not the best source to be seeking advice from on the subject since I'm still learning as I go, and have yet to install my brake upgrades. I can, however, offer up some very good links that made their way to my Bookmarks list. I've read every single word and feel that each one has something valuable to offer in the area of brake knowledge, from specific upgrades to just plain awesome information.

I learned a lot from these and any other links mentioned therein:

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas

toyinhawaii

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2022

The chrome one isnt working out , yep i properly bench bled the master and pressed the brakes to bleed the cylinder then after the install bled the brakes too. So sending it back to the seller on ebay. Gonna get the more better caprice, blazer or pre-82 gbody elky.
Been looking and guess my eyes are getting glazed on which to choose from.. probably been reading all of sweet johnny links he posted .. haha. Follow up to your totally unrelated i spent my young years K-3rd grade growing up in Central City, Iowa about 13 miles north or Cedar Rapids..

toyinhawaii

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2022
Tried to google how to measure the bore in the MC to get an idea of how its measured. the ‘84 elkys use a 1” bore and the caprice/blazer use a 1.250”… IDK but look like i’m measuring wrong??? The left is the OEM W/ GM PN 18010023 and the right one is my 3 yr old napa one PN M2477 , both suppose to be 1” but obviously i am measuring wrong to get almost 1.5”

Attachments

• A0CFC288-BE9D-477C-BBF6-4FB848051876.jpeg
    A0CFC288-BE9D-477C-BBF6-4FB848051876.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 10

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor