Brake Hose/Line Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Hit a pretty deep pot hole a couple of nights ago, and didn't have brakes this morning...

Figured air was in the lines so I attempted to bleed the brakes. When I made it to the drivers front side to bleed out the air, as my assistant was pushing the brake pedal, I noticed brake fluid shooting out on the passenger side...

Got up to check it out and this is what I see...

Squished the metal housing damn near flat...

Screenshot_20220406-184936_Photos.jpg

Now...how can I repair this or do I need to replace this hose ?

If i need to replace the hose, how do I remove it and install it...never messed around with brake hoses/lines before.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Well at least the part is cheap...👍🏾

Screenshot_20220406-185728_Chrome.jpg

Any good reference videos of removing and installing one of these I should be looking at ?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
First remove the steel tube from the hose, If you dont hold the hose end tight you will twist off the tubing and destroy it.
Brake line1.jpg

You need to use flare nut wrenches on the tubing side. This nut is easy to strip. Picture is for reference only wrenches are metric for your car.
FNWx.jpg

On the caliper end there is what is known as a Banjo Bolt it is hollow. When you replace make sure it is the same as it came off, use the new copper washers one on each side of the brake hose connector. Remember this bolt is hollow and weak it is torqued to 96 to 120 INCH pounds.

Where are your brake line brackets?
Bracket and hose.jpg

Brackets and clips.
G Brackets.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 5 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The brackets bolt to the frame. Without the brackets you get damage like you have here and in the long run the steel tube will crack without the bracket.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Well at least the part is cheap...👍🏾

View attachment 195985

Any good reference videos of removing and installing one of these I should be looking at ?

The brackets bolt to the frame. Without the brackets you get damage like you have here and in the long run the steel tube will crack without the bracket.
He doesnt have the bracket on the car.

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
You need to use flare nut wrenches on the tubing side. This nut is easy to strip. Picture is for reference only wrenches are metric for your car.
Should those flare wrenches be standard or metric ?

What exact wrench sizes do I need ?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Brackets are there I believe, just not bolted to the frame.
If theyre there youre going to have another issue. It looks like someone replaced the metal line and now it will be too long to meet up with the bracket the way its supposed to. If thats the case your new hose will be too long. See where this is going ? Its going to be a can of worms.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor