Brake Hose/Line Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Hit a pretty deep pot hole a couple of nights ago, and didn't have brakes this morning...

Figured air was in the lines so I attempted to bleed the brakes. When I made it to the drivers front side to bleed out the air, as my assistant was pushing the brake pedal, I noticed brake fluid shooting out on the passenger side...

Got up to check it out and this is what I see...

Squished the metal housing damn near flat...

Screenshot_20220406-184936_Photos.jpg

Now...how can I repair this or do I need to replace this hose ?

If i need to replace the hose, how do I remove it and install it...never messed around with brake hoses/lines before.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
If theyre there youre going to have another issue. It looks like someone replaced the metal line and now it will be too long to meet up with the bracket the way its supposed to. If thats the case your new hose will be too long. See where this is going ? Its going to be a can of worms.
Agreed. The lines need to be anchored and or routed in some fashion to keep them away from getting between moving parts.

Hard lines are usually clamped strategically so they're not between things that can make contact (in this case the lower a-arm & frame rail). They should allow the rubber portion of the hose to connect to the caliper w/o making contact w/any metal throughout the turning radius of the steering cycle (as well as compression/extension of the front suspension).

Reactions: 1 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
If theyre there youre going to have another issue. It looks like someone replaced the metal line and now it will be too long to meet up with the bracket the way its supposed to. If thats the case your new hose will be too long. See where this is going ? Its going to be a can of worms.
How can I tell if the lines were replaced ?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY

The bracket on the frame looks like its missing. Is there one on the other side ? Pretty sure the metal line stops much higher and the rubber line meets it at the bracket. If you have the bracket on the other side you'll see what its supposed to look like.

Reactions: 1 user

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I found some at Harbor Freight in a set of 5...but there are two options, SAE and Metric...

Making sure I'm buying what I have.

When I worked for one of the brake line aftermarket manufacturers MOST of the lines from the factory on G Bodys were SAE.
I would suggest the SAE set.

Reactions: 1 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I am thinking it has shorter hoses on it. The brackets were done like that to make them work. If so the tubes might be gently formed back into place once the brackets are back in place and the correct hoses are used.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
That brackets supposed to be attached to the frame. The other side too so you need to get the bracket. The issue is the guy that put the lines on that way is a hack. He probably didnt want to cut and flare the line so it was the right length. Like I said, this is going to be a can of worms.
Any junk yards in your area ? Maybe you can get the missing bracket and two of the correct screws. Or maybe someone on here might have one kicking around.
Hope you dont know the guy you bought this Monte from. SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor