brake line fitting at rear block

Bengler455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2022
Can anyone tell me what flare nut I need for the rear brake line going to the rear hose coming from the Proportioning valve. 1/4" it is not. The GM catalog calls for 1/4" and the fitting does not thread into the hose. Guessing its a 10mm, 84 Cutlass. Thank you!!

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Should be 1/4 inch tube, Hose end should be a 7/16-24 tube nut (Fitting) 45 degree double inverted flare.
At least that is what we built them as when I was doing them for the "Bent On Perfection" company.;)

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Can anyone tell me what flare nut I need for the rear brake line going to the rear hose coming from the Proportioning valve. 1/4" it is not. The GM catalog calls for 1/4" and the fitting does not thread into the hose. Guessing its a 10mm, 84 Cutlass. Thank you!!
I had to find a size of flared nuts that fit the 1/4"line and auto zone had them in a pack you end up cutting the line and useing a compression coupler to slide the flared nut" in place of stock different nut... il check when I get off work ,I had the guy (at autozone)see if the flared nut 'fit , I took the block /hose with me

Last edited:

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I have to find a size of flared nuts that fit the 1/4"line and auto zone had them in a pack you end up cutting the line and useing a compression coupler the slide the flared nut in place of stock different nut il check when I get off work I had the guy see if the flared nut fit I took the block /hose with me

For what its worth... unless you have a great insurance policy and a state inspection that looks the other way... Compression fittings are never to be used in brake line repairs. Always 45 degree double inverted or metric bubble flares. 37 degree single flares can be used with AN fittings but require the flare sleeve inside the nut.

Reactions: 1 users

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
For what its worth... unless you have a great insurance policy and a state inspection that looks the other way... Compression fittings are never to be used in brake line repairs. Always 45 degree double inverted or metric bubble flares. 37 degree single flares can be used with AN fittings but require the flare sleeve inside the nut.
For what's its worth they sell them at autozoan (compression fittings) fir brake lines .you do have to tighten the (@#$!%)out of them .historically I have seen them on old trucks old and corroded were they have serviced the need for a coupling for decades of time. THEY CAN Be INSTALLED WRONG. Bye 2 incase you mess one up kind of Thang"...you heard it here.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Bengler455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2022
Confirmed, it was 7/16-24 turns out my threads got all messed up somehow. Replaced the rear hose and it threads right in like butter. Thanks guys!!

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor