brake response is non linear ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
At one time, GM had problems with the rear backing plates rotting out on both the A/G bodies, and some of the earlier S/T trucks. Some of these vehicles were subject to a recall to repair this problem. The backing plates would rot out, and the rear wheel cylinders would rotate on the backing plate, then fail & leak. The rear wheel cylinders are not bolted to the backing plates on these cars, but instead are held on by a metal retaining clip. Also, on this style of wheel cylinder, the bleeder screw is recessed in the back of the wheel cylinder, so if they've been in there for a few years, and there is any buildup of dirt or rust, the bleeder screw could be difficult to loosen or remove on the old wheel cylinder. Hope things work out OK for you.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
i had that problem, just picked up a set of split backing plates and they came with new wheel cylinders, i think they cost me around 50 bucks for the pair, made the replacement dead easy (it helped that i was doing all the lines at the same time

evan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2006
Saskatoon, SK
Would something like the SSBC rear disc converstion with single piston calipers be overkill for the rear if all I was using up front was stock sized rotors with 2 piston clipers (Force 10 SportTwin)?

Do slotted rotors increase initial stopping power, or do they just reduce fade?

Do any of you use proportioning valves or are they on already?

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
No, single piston rear and dual piston front should work fine. Slotted rotors vent gases so I think they would both increase the stopping power and reduce fade. If I were going to a 4-wheel disc brake system on a G-Body I would install the proper combination valve to have the correct hold off and metering to the rear brakes.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
if your going to a 4 wheel disk setup, all you need is a master and proportion valve off/for a 4 wheel disk car that is roughly the same weight. you can use them from an f body, they are close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor