brakes go to the floor when car starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
the container imbetween the brake booster and the hardline off the carb is a filter

the check valve is the plastic part that pops into the booster

if you try to pop it out, it will leak air until the booster is empty

if you are just touching it and you hear air leaking, the gromet/seal is no good and need to be replaced

They sell the valve and gromet in the "HELP" section at auto parts stores it should be about 7 bucks

OK a new booster and new master later i still had the same problem. Why? its like the engine is stealing my brake vacuum. thats exactly what it is my engine has 15 psi of vac at idle. I installed one of ssb electric vacuum pumps and problem solved, i can lock up the front end with no problems.

OK a new booster and new master later i still had the same problem. Why? its like the engine is stealing my brake vacuum. thats exactly what it is my engine has 15 psi of vac at idle. I installed one of ssb electric vacuum pumps and problem solved, i can lock up the front end with no problems.

What camshaft are you running?

maliblue said:

you need to bench bleed your master, then connect all your lines and bleed the system

I also vote booster. If all is well with no vacuum (motor off) it can only be the booster. Hard pedal is only one possible malfunction. Pedal to floor is the most common one. They are about a hundred bucks for a rebuilt, maybe fifty in a boneyard.

Umm, the problem has been solved :? Read a few posts up.

Unless you are running a cam that make little to no vacuum your problem is not fixed.

You only found a temp solution.

TURNA said:
Unless you are running a cam that make little to no vacuum your problem is not fixed.

You only found a temp solution.

Very good point 🙂 What kinda vacuum is an engine supposed to have? I seem to remember around 18 but not positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor