Brakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnoPro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2009
Elk River MN
I guess i could have posted on here before biteing the bullet and having to spend 60 bucks just to have them flush/fill my brakes but i didn't! :(

Anywho, does any1 have any advice just incase i need to bleed my brakes in the future? I know the process and all, just had no luck getting the bleeder screws off :( I was literally trying every tool in the garage without wanting to snap the screws off. Any ideas? the screws where a bit rusty and nasty, but i even cleaned them up witha wire brush and figured thatd help. NO luck tho, just couldnt get anything to grab :(

I should have just bought new calipers, as im going to need calipers and pads soon and done it that way. To late now tho

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
buy a MAPP gas torch from home depot or whoever, and have a good pair of vise grips and some PB blaster. (i HIGHLY recommend the actual vise grip company, i've used others and they aren't nearly as good.) first soak the bleeders with the PB blaster, then test fit the grips on the bleeder screw, then (remove the grips) and heat with the torch. you want to heat where the bleeder goes into the caliper/cylinder. very quickly, set the vise grips and try to turn the screw. apply slow steady pressure or you will break it. if the bleeder breaks free, don't just unscrew it. work it back and forth, turning it out a little extra each time until it feels completely free. you may need to respray and/or resoak. also, watch the bleeder carefully, if it starts to turn, but the base actually isn't--you're about to snap it. that's when you heat the sh*t out of it and then pray. at that point i usually smack the grips with my hand, trying to break it free without twisting the bleeder. be careful of the brake fluid. when it's heated up it expands and can build up pressure, when the bleeder opens it can spit, and trust me it hurts! lol
BTW you may want to have a spray bottle of water handy just in case of fire. and watch where the flame and heat goes, keep it away from hoses and the like.

SnoPro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2009
Elk River MN
Yeah i had sprayed it with PB blasta a bit, but didnt heat it up. Was debating doing so, just no torch, and i kinda needed them fixed as soon as possible :( I almost wanna go back now and try it myself! I hate paying for sh*t that i know how to do lo :?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know about the prices where you are but I get fully dressed rebuilt caliper from Napa for around $20..as for making sure the bleeders don't weld themselves to the caliper just use a good quality antiseize on them

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Ditto on the antisieze. What a lifesaver, especially on exhaust parts. Just don't get any in with the fluid.

Attachments

• rear diff cover 003.JPG
    rear diff cover 003.JPG
    703.7 KB · Views: 93

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Bonnewagon said:
Ditto on the antisieze. What a lifesaver, especially on exhaust parts. Just don't get any in with the fluid.

yes your right to point that out....rub it into just the threaded part of the bleeder and make sure all the threads are covered with a light coating.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I also like squirting some WD40 into the bleeder after it's been bled and tightened up for the last time. It flushes out the brake fluid so it won't attract water to rust. Then I snap a rubber cover on the bleeder, or a vacuum fitting plug. Keeps water and crud out.

SnoPro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2009
Elk River MN
Thanks for the tips guys :) The place i brought it to couldnt get the bleeder screws off eaither( They were pretty mangled) So looks like im going to just buy new calipers and do it all myself, all make sure to grab some antiseize while im at napa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor