break in period?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandprix2+2

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2007
Hey guys, I've finally got 1000k on the new motor. I'm going to change the oil in a day or two. Other thank that how much longer to you think I'd have to do untill my motor is really broken in? Im guessing around 1500, but what would you guys do? How long should I wait before I get to tuning her up?

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
After a 20 minute run time break in to seat the rings, an oil change & a complete systems check so speak they are ready for some WOT. Not neccessarily abusively beat on for the first couple heat cycles but ready. This is when engines are dynoed btw. After the first couple good heat cycles its better to break em in hard to run hard than to break em in like a dog to run like a dog. As long as you are not scorching her from a bad overheat or holding it at redline you should be fine.

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
Now people might not agree with me here but I don't care.
After the few hrs of running the engine to getting it tuned properly figure out after you instal it, In my opinion its broken in.
If you can't run a motor how you want right out of the garage, you didn't build it right.
Thats how the old hot rodders are, thats How I am.
I broke my last motor in at the drag strip, followed by a burnout pit.
Never had a problem the first 50 miles were drag strip and burnout pit.
Still had 70psi oil pressure when I sold it.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
the engine is pretty much broken in after 20-30min. however the rings can take up to 3000mi! (that number is from a ring manufacturer) i'm having that problem with mine right now. i did the break in and drove it like i stole it. but i keep getting excess crankcase gasses.

HFX

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The most crucial break in point for rings is usually in the first 200 miles or really the first 30 minutes. You don't want to hold it at high speeds, but getting hard on the gas is a good thing. Since you've hit 1000 miles, I'd say you are probably already broken in. This comes to me from my dad who used to rebuild an engine and then put around 400K on a motor before he rebuilt it again. You can probably start tuning it up now.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
I was told that the first 500 miles is the breaking point, is this true?

grandprix2+2

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2007
Alright, thanks for all the advice. The engine has not been dynoed btw. She definately needs a tune-up though, as it now refuses to idle since the last time I had it out. I'm hoping this is because of the carb because it seems to be running rich. I mentioned to my friend that helped me get the motor in their the mileage I had on it and that it was probably almost broken in and he started freaking that they arent fully broken in untill 5000 miles because the motor was just built and not put on a dyno. He's been wrong before though so I thought I'd get summore opinions lol.
Thanks

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
grandprix2+2 said:
Alright, thanks for all the advice. The engine has not been dynoed btw. She definately needs a tune-up though, as it now refuses to idle since the last time I had it out. I'm hoping this is because of the carb because it seems to be running rich. I mentioned to my friend that helped me get the motor in their the mileage I had on it and that it was probably almost broken in and he started freaking that they arent fully broken in untill 5000 miles because the motor was just built and not put on a dyno. He's been wrong before though so I thought I'd get summore opinions lol.
Thanks
5000 miles?!?!
thats time for another rebuild hahaha
kidding ofcourse, but i dunno i like to rebuild atleast rings bearings and valve springs every 2 seasons on my race motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor