Bring a Trailer G-bodys

Status
Not open for further replies.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Grand Prix for me. I always liked the 442s but never the Hurst cars so much. I never could get past the hood scoop.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Neither met reserve, actually surprised, nice and clean examples too. I often think people would rather spend 3k on a junker that needs 10K of work. Never understood that.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Neither met reserve, actually surprised, nice and clean examples too. I often think people would rather spend 3k on a junker that needs 10K of work. never understood that.

Amen brother.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Cauterize

Floater of Valves
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2019
Deathbridge
Neither met reserve, actually surprised, nice and clean examples too. I often think people would rather spend 3k on a junker that needs 10K of work. never understood that.
That seems to be the way it goes. If my car wasn't $300 I would have bought something complete.

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Looky this! appears to be my old car.

1981 Pontiac Grand Prix - $3000 (Canton, MI)
image 1 of 3

1 2 3
3031.png
3031.png
3032.png
3032.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)
1981 Pontiac Grand Prix
condition: good
cylinders: 6 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 70000
paint color: red
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
type: coupe

Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Well, there's something to that.

If you do your own labor, then 1) you know what's done right and what corners were cut (no screen and cardboard covered with bondo in the body), 2) you know how prep was done before paint, 3) you know what parts were used, and,

4) insurance payout -take the gp for example- if it was wrecked the day after you get it (and recall, not everyone or every area has affordable access to agreed value) is likely on gonna every be 5-6000. But if I get a clean roller for $2000, and spend $10k on an upgraded restoration/custom driveline, the money I invest CAN be proof the car is worth more than "book value" both in negotiated settlement and court.

Plus you can choose to make it EXACTLY how you want.

Next argument - why pay a premium for something you don't want? I presume those sellers wanted somewhere in the teens to 20s for price. Why pay a premium for something you don't want - a stock car with a firebreathing 100-something hp? Many guys wont. There are buyers who don't care, (and I'll admit to being one of the few of them) but in the day of 300hp daily drivers for $5,000 those buyers are fewer and further between.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
It's the world we live in. Instant gratification. Would you rather have your "dream" car for pennies even though it's a pile of crap, or wait your whole life saving for the perfect one?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It's the world we live in. Instant gratification. Would you rather have your "dream" car for pennies even though it's a pile of crap, or wait your whole life saving for the perfect one?
Yes, because it's not perfect (for me) until I've smeared my greasy paws all over it with tweaks.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor