Brougham vs. Salon vs. Calais

Status
Not open for further replies.
AnPmc said:
I own an 85 Cutlass Supreme Brougham Edition, Seats are like Couches, Everybody Falls asleep in that Car.

would that be because the broughams had the deluxe interior to it?
Idk what it looks like but if you show me maybe I could appreciate it a little more? 🙂 i.e: do you have pictures of your car incl. interior?

CaliCuttie said:
AnPmc said:
I own an 85 Cutlass Supreme Brougham Edition, Seats are like Couches, Everybody Falls asleep in that Car.

would that be because the broughams had the deluxe interior to it?
Idk what it looks like but if you show me maybe I could appreciate it a little more? 🙂 i.e: do you have pictures of your car incl. interior?
My Car is getting the Motor Pulled out Upstate, But when I go up there, I'll take the Pictures so You Guys to See.

Brougham would have the pillow top seats. I had an 83 Delta and a 77 Cutlass Supreme that both were Broughams and both had those seats. They really are like sitting on the couch driving down the road!

outsider_27 said:
Brougham would have the pillow top seats. I had an 83 Delta and a 77 Cutlass Supreme that both were Broughams and both had those seats. They really are like sitting on the couch driving down the road!
Exactly, Those Seats are so F'ing Comfortable.
I had a couple Girls back there Catching Z's.

AnPmc said:

believe that, i'm always getting compliments from people of how comfy the seats are, gotta love them broughams, top of the line cutty

1981-84 Cutlass Calais and 1985-87 Cutlass Salons are the same type of style, they came with bucket seats and a console and the 83/84 Hurst Olds and 85-86 442's were based off of these models. Salons were not offered in 1988 however the Cutlass Supreme Classic Brougham I have has a Salon interior with t-tops, weird since Broughams came with pillow seats and no console.

1981-88 Cutlass Brougham's
had the 60/40 plush pillow seats and column shift

1981-88 Supremes were base models and came with either non-reclining buckets and consoles or bench seats. The 1987 442 was based off the Supreme.

T-tops, vinyl tops and astroroofs were available in all models, yes I have seen a Brougham with t-tops before and even seen bench seat Supreme's with t-tops...

78-80 is a different story...

78-79 Salons were the ugly fast backs and some came with the 442 package (just decals) in 78 and 79. I believe they even had Salon Broughams if I am not mistaken...

79-80 Calais were notch back's and the 79 Hurst Olds is based off of that as well as the 80 442.

88hurstolds said:
1981-84 Cutlass Calais and 1985-87 Cutlass Salons are the same type of style, they came with bucket seats and a console and the 83/84 Hurst Olds and 85-86 442's were based off of these models. Salons were not offered in 1988 however the Cutlass Supreme Classic Brougham I have has a Salon interior with t-tops, weird since Broughams came with pillow seats and no console.

1981-88 Cutlass Brougham's
had the 60/40 plush pillow seats and column shift

1981-88 Supremes were base models and came with either non-reclining buckets and consoles or bench seats. The 1987 442 was based off the Supreme.

T-tops, vinyl tops and astroroofs were available in all models, yes I have seen a Brougham with t-tops before and even seen bench seat Supreme's with t-tops...

78-80 is a different story...

78-79 Salons were the ugly fast backs and some came with the 442 package (just decals) in 78 and 79. I believe they even had Salon Broughams if I am not mistaken...

79-80 Calais were notch back's and the 79 Hurst Olds is based off of that as well as the 80 442.

best explanation yet, thanks much 🙂

i gotta 85 cutlass brougham and its seats are comfortable

The Salon basically got you the same stuff as the Calais in the 81-88 cars. They usually have the F-41 suspension, buckets and console, gauge package, nicer upper door panels, lower body trim and 14 in rally wheels. The Brougham package pretty much was just nicer seats and door panels coupled with more sound deadener than the base car and the same extra chrome as the Salon. Interestingly, you could option the Salon and Brougham to be exactly the same except for the seats. The same goes for the 4 door cars too. So, you could have a Brougham with the gauge package, rally wheels F-41 suspension, and 307 V8-even if it was a 4 door! From the outside, the only difference you can see if both cars have the rallys is the Brougham emblem as they share identical trim. Oddly though, a Cutlass Brougham is not as nice as a Regal limited. The Regal had better carpet and a few other things the Olds did not get.

Given the choice, I would have a Salon. Mine is a Brougham right now with good condition seats, but I do plan to change to buckets and a console along with a manual transmission in the future. The seats will not be Cutlass seats though as they are not very supportive in aggressive driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor