Brushing up on my Hurst Olds info for 1979 and need an answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
As I was reading about authentication of a Hurst Olds 1979 I came across info which seem to be different.

I pulled this quote off one site

I believe that all of these cars had a 2.73 to 1 final drive ratio, regardless of if the axle was limited slip or not.

and then on another site It said......

The final gear ration may be 3.08 depending on options ordered or installed.

Silly me had the rear diff cover off a few months ago and didn't give it a thought to check it. I know I can roll the tire
and mark number of times the driveshaft goes in one rev but I was hoping someone could clear this up for me.
I'm dealing with a health issue that is unfortunately keeping me out of my garage and figured reading up on my ride
is as close as I can get to spending some quality time with it.

Thanks for the inputs and if you do have verified info can you state where it came from....

AZ

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Here is the info copied from the other site:

Drivetrain

Gearbox:
GM Turbo Hydramatic THM-350
Transmission type:
automatic

with manual shift mode

Number of gears:
Gear ratios (overall):

Torque converter factor:
Final drive ratio std:

optional:

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
One reason I asked was I saw on the You Tube GBody site the guy got scratch from the tires in 2nd gear.........he did mention a shift kit, so that
may have been installed, but with 2.73 and posi....I just couldn't see how he could bark the tires in 2nd gear.....and thought maybe his H/O
has the 3.08
That and I just wanted to know for my record.......
Odd with all that other site that mention the 3.08 was such a detailed specs website.......and for it to have the 3.08 makes me:unsure::confused:

Huen79H/O

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2018
My 79 has 2.73. I have had trans with shift kits the would bark between gears with 2.73 gear but it was shifting in to 2nd at 50 mph 3rd at 85 mph

Huen79H/O

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2018
The good thing about a 2.73 gear is 60mph is 2000 rpm with a turbo 350 trans

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
My 79 has 2.73. I have had trans with shift kits the would bark between gears with 2.73 gear but it was shifting in to 2nd at 50 mph 3rd at 85 mph

Well the owner of the GBody You Tube channel I think DID mention a shift kit....so it must be that. Thanks for the verification....

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
The good thing about a 2.73 gear is 60mph is 2000 rpm with a turbo 350 trans

yea it's good to have highway gears out here in AZ where the speed limit is 75 and no one does that.........add 7 or 10 to that.

So I imagine somewhere around 2500 rpms is what I'll see if the tach and speedo agree.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor