Bucket seats??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
Did bucket seats only came in salons/442/calais models? Or did the Cutlass Supreme(base) also come with them? I have an 86 Cutlass Supreme that came with floor shifter with bucket seats(non tilt/power) ....thanks in advance.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yes, you could have Supreme with buckets/console. The Supremes came with A51 non-reclining buckets if you opted for that with D55 console. Look on your SPID sticker for A51 and D55. A51 might even be on the body tag under the driver wiper arm.

The AR9 recliners, which were standard on Calais/Salon, but were NOT available on Cutlass Supreme. Supreme Broughams had NO bucket seat option at all.

Reactions: 2 users

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
Yes, you could have Supreme with buckets/console. The Supremes came with A51 non-reclining buckets if you opted for that with D55 console. Look on your SPID sticker for A51 and D55. A51 might even be on the body tag under the driver wiper arm.

The AR9 recliners, which were standard on Calais/Salon, but were NOT available on Cutlass Supreme. Supreme Broughams had NO bucket seat option at all.
🤔I pretty much knew just a lot of people question it,I know my car was built in Canada and had original paperwork inside door panel which when I had them reupholstered the paper was probably thrown away..my fault should've let him know in advance...I will check it out...not to sound so clueless where abouts is the SPID sticker?🤦

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Service Parts Identification label, aka SPID sticker, is located on the underside of the trunk lid. Should have a bunch of 3 digit codes printed on it. Shows all the options that should have been on the car as it left the factory, save for VK3 (front license plate bracket), which sometimes is there and sometimes not even if the car came with it.

Reactions: 1 user

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California
Service Parts Identification label, aka SPID sticker, is located on the underside of the trunk lid. Should have a bunch of 3 digit codes printed on it. Shows all the options that should have been on the car as it left the factory, save for VK3 (front license plate bracket), which sometimes is there and sometimes not even if the car came with it.
🤦found it...but no VK3 on it....

Froggys86

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2017
California

How bout that...mine has A51 and D55 on it....appreciate the tips and knowledge you all bring, thank you.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
keep in mind, the SPID stickers only came on 84-up cars. Won't see them on say, an 83 H/O. Although those did have body tags with W40 on them.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa

From what I've noticed in any Cutlass with buckets is they alll look like the A51 Strato buckets regardless of recline feature. Then thought AR9 recliners were only the "euro" buckets I've seen in the Monte Carlo SS's & a lot of Grand Prix's from '82 up. Educate me on this so I would know if I ever find a set of dark maple buckets for my Monte so I will know what I'm looking at.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Chevy seats were a bit different than Olds seats.

AR9 Oldsmobile seats are EASY to spot from 400 miles away from Earth.

If you see big azz chrome hinge covers that cover some real estate, they're AR9s. A-51s just basically had the back plastic meet up with the lower side plastic piece down on the side. No reclining mechanism. Problem with the chrome hinge covers is any misalignment in the seat hinge and POP...breakage ensues. Weak gusseting on the long screws to hold them in. Expensive to replace, even with the Repops. All 4 lower hinge covers has separate part numbers. This is the main difference between Olds A51 and AR9 seats as both have built in headrests.

images

AR9s that you'd find in say, Camaros and other Chevies, they usually had like matching color plastic covers that were a bit more subtle than the huge chrome jobbies Olds used. And it actually had a lever shaped lever for articulating adjustment.

AR9 Olds seats (87 Salon) Note the little black knobbed lever almost hidden by the seat belt. That's the release lever.
43262_Interior_Web.jpg

A51 in a Cutlass Supreme 442
3-1639154244440@2x.jpg

Monte Carlo AR9 (note the separate headrest from the Olds)
fl0113-148871_4@2x.jpg

I'm not sure if Montes had anything other than AR9s when you got the buckets. I'd have to look that up.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Chevy seats were a bit different than Olds seats.

AR9 Oldsmobile seats are EASY to spot from 400 miles away from Earth.

If you see big azz chrome hinge covers that cover some real estate, they're AR9s. A-51s just basically had the back plastic meet up with the lower side plastic piece down on the side. No reclining mechanism. Problem with the chrome hinge covers is any misalignment in the seat hinge and POP...breakage ensues. Weak gusseting on the long screws to hold them in. Expensive to replace, even with the Repops. All 4 lower hinge covers has separate part numbers. This is the main difference between Olds A51 and AR9 seats as both have built in headrests.

images

AR9s that you'd find in say, Camaros and other Chevies, they usually had like matching color plastic covers that were a bit more subtle than the huge chrome jobbies Olds used. And it actually had a lever shaped lever for articulating adjustment.

AR9 Olds seats (87 Salon) Note the little black knobbed lever almost hidden by the seat belt. That's the release lever.
43262_Interior_Web.jpg

A51 in a Cutlass Supreme 442
3-1639154244440@2x.jpg

Monte Carlo AR9 (note the separate headrest from the Olds)
fl0113-148871_4@2x.jpg

I'm not sure if Montes had anything other than AR9s when you got the buckets. I'd have to look that up.
Now I have better knowledge on the differences. I did know the '78-'81 Chevy's are the same A51 as the Olds. Then the '84-'87/'88 Chevy's used the same as your last pic in the posting ('82-'83 had no bucket option.) I always thought since all the buckets were high backs they were A51 buckets but with some different Olds trim. I personally like the high backs better & would use a set if I was to swap out my A52 bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor