budget-minded '79 malibu street & strip build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
You do nice work! I like fab work like that. I have not done much of it lately because of my kids and lack of time.

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
On an A-G body car, all of the upward load is on that upper spring seat so its good to tie it to the cage. I have seen it done with the bars attached directly to the spring seat, or in a case like yours, vertical bars up off the spring seat tying into the back bars as they pass over. Even after I backhalved the car, the rear X was tied into the frame at the upper shock mount point for the coil overs. As far as putting bars through the firewall to the front stub, they are kinda useless without all the other bars installed. You need a diagonal from the frame at about the bellhousing up to the front bar to stabilize it, and then you need to install the X bars in the door. Without the X bar, the A pillar bar isn't strong enough to stop any flex of the front stub.

Reactions: 2 users

truckdoug

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2018
bent up a cross member for the 80e. grab sthe stock mounting points and has enough hump to clear a single 2.5" exhaust out the back

then shortened up a p71 driveshaft...we'll see how that works out...it'll get a safety loop of course.

and I had to re offset the wheels to fit under the car. I made some vids to show how its done. please excuse me callng the wheel weights out in grams....this is my first tire balancer

truckdoug

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2018
Thanks Mark!

Got some truck accessories to fit under the stock hood and clear the car intake

bit the bullet on an anti roll bar kit...just couldn't beat $150 bucks to fab it all from scratch

still gotta work out how to tie it to the spring perch, and tie that into the cage

hey if anyone out there knows what clips these couple mouldings take, please link!

also got my new toy fired up.

Reactions: 1 users

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
there's some guy in Portland who could make those clips on his new plasma table.....

truckdoug

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2018
the plasma struggles with plastic a little ...shoulda bought a waterjet lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor