Budget Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You're really wasting alot of money swapping pistons. A running LQ4 6.0 can be easily found for $1500. There is no need to swap pistons or heads no matter what you find with your modest goal. A set of rings, bearings, oil pump, cam and springs. After that it's all a waste of money. $2500 should do it. Add in an aftermarket ECM for $650 and you still have the budget for the turbo, WG and BOV later to make 800HP.

Motorhead Mike's plan is VERY sound as well.

Throwing a full rebuild on an LS is not necessary due to availability and how they wear, unless of course you're after 4 digit HP numbers.

Reactions: 1 users

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I will be swapping out the heads and cam. I plan on putting L92 heads on it with a LS1 intake. I haven’t figured out the cam yet

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Better chance at making 526hp/468ft/lbs with a NA LS.

OP sounds convinced of his plan - so I am just going to sit back and watch this unfold now.

Reactions: 1 users

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
Unless you need the room the LS1 intake would not be the choice to approach your torque goals.
I meant to type LS3. Fat fingers on a phone keyboard. Nothing is set in stone. I am only in the planning stages.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Simple and proven NA combo.
GEN 3 LQ4
706 heads from a boring old 5.3
Elgin Sloppy stage 2 aka, 1840P
PAC 1218 Springs.
TBSS intake.

10.5:1 compression. Pump gas friendly. Tuned with flex fuel injectors or GEN 4 30lb injectors and will be able to make your goal. If you can’t find this combo at the junkyard for $700 I’d be blown away. Get the harness and ecm with the motor and run DBC with a return rail and you are gold. Don’t open it up or you’ll be tempted to “just upgrade this .... while it’s open”.

It’s easy man. Don’t over think it. 😉

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor