Buick with no spark, ftw??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
I know it's not a Gbody but i need some advice from you buick guys, We tried replacing the Coil control unit, and he's got extra coil packs that we've tried, and even tested the new wires with a new plug, no prevail. It's getting fuel, i unhooked the fuel line in to the fuel rail and tried to start it up, it pissed fuel everywhere.

I tried blasting it with starting fluid and seeing what would happen, it didn't even kick, so i'm certain spark is the problem.

My pop's thinks that there is not enough fuel pressure and this could be triggering a sensor to stop the sending of spark, any truth behind this?

Any ideas? :blam:

It's the 3.3 motor, 6 cyl, all stock, it's a 1991 Buick century

Sorry if this double post's, my internet is so god awfull that i've been trying to post this for 30 minutes, and keep timing out.

**UPDATE**

We think it's either the cam or crank sensor, any opinions on that? I don't even know where they are located on the motor, but i'm hoping the crank sensor isen't under the harmonic balancer

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
first, try and test the fuel pressure to be sure, and test for spark through the wires.
my first guess is the crank sensor. IIRC it's a tootheg ring and the gap can be adjusted. which means it can lose adjustment. as it's a '91 you should have OBD1 and it should have stored codes. pull them and post it up.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
listen to see if the fuel pump is running WHILE the engine is being cranked.... normally when you first turn the key on, the pump will run for 3 seconds to pressurize the system, then shut off. it will not turn on again until it sees a reference signal from the crank and/or cam sensor.... if the pump doesnt come back on while cranking, I'd say it's the crank sensor, if it does, I'd say the ignition control module(under the coil packs) is the most likely culprit...

HTH, keep us posted.
Darin

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Just an idea. Are the fuel injectors plugged?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
so, any progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor