Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
Glad to here your getting it done. I was at the point you where with trying to get the body perfect for paint. Hell I was at the point that I was going over every piece of interior with a fine tooth comb and ended up spending almost $1000.00 to have a basically factory interior except for it being 2 tone. And this is on a car that will be mostly a daily driver so it's going to get dirty and such. Then I got bored and want to drive the car so this weekend the interior is getting finished and next weekend hopefully paint and be done with that step. I think you will be perfectly happy with the car no matter how it turns out.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The interior I have is almost perfect, all I really need is a headliner. However, I have decided to seek out a black interior and eventually change it over to black buckets from something like a Civic Si. I want the upholstery on the door panels, seating surfaces and headliner to be black Alcantara (a synthetic suede), with the sides and back of the seats in a heavy black vinyl. I will also do either black or blue stitching on the seats, and may paint the chrome trim lines on the dash plastic to match. The wood grain will either be painted silver or covered in flame cut titanium panels. For now, it will have the dark blue Brougham interior, but I will be changing it in the future starting with the seats and steering column when I do my 5 speed swap. If anyone wants a near as you will ever find perfect dark blue brougham interior, let me know. I'll work something out when it's available.

I am also undecided about the wheels as 3 of mine are bent and they look awful, condition wise. Plus, with the tall spindle conversion, the wheels get pushed out a bit and I don't know if they will clear. They might though, as my car's wheel wells are no longer stock. (see prior posts in this thread)

As for the roof, I am glad I worked on it again. I could feel the low spot and it was really obvious. I got it 90% perfect now (it has a minor wave as I could not match the crown of the roof perfectly, the filler is a little bit too flat), and no one but someone picky (like me!) will ever notice. I obsessed over it because the rest of the car came out so well, I didn't want it to have a glaring blemish. Plus, I spent close to $1,000 on the paint alone, so I wanted my money to be well spent. It will be sprayed tomorrow. My helper will be here at 9am to follow me in my truck, and help me with the work. He needs it for a High School project, and I need the help, so it is well worth it for both of us. I have back and shoulder issues, so it is nice for me to have someone there who can do a base coat or two if needed.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
NIGHTMARE!!!!!!

I am trying to paint my car right now, but everything has gone wrong. It took too long to get ready to spray it this afternoon, I had to take a trip back home (20 miles away!) from the booth, and I have a leaking fuel line. On top of that, Diamont is nice enough to NOT print the mixture ratios on the can, so seeing as I also forgot the data sheets, I could not even spray the base. I just returned home to bring back my helper and second driver ( I will have to have someone come with me tomorrow to get the car and return the key to the booth), and luckily found the sheets. My cell phone is turned off as I spent the money for the bill on the booth rental. Oh, did I mention it's gonna get down into the 50's and I have a warm temp reducer? Or that I won't be done spraying until after midnight?

In case I lose the sheets again, I will post the ratios here for all the world to see.

Diamont Base Coat Mixture Ratios:

2 parts Diamont Color, 1 part UR Reducer, NO activator needed. Optionally, BCH2 basecoat hardener can be used, but it is not mandatory.

Diamont Clearcoat DC5100 CTR Clear: 3:1

3 parts DC5100, 1 part DH14, DH16, or DH 18.

Dry to handle in 30 minutes at 68 degrees, 5 minutes flash off between coats. DO NOT LET IT DRY TOO LONG!!!!! It will wrinkle the finish and need to be stripped.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
best of luck getting it done. All the fun and memories are in the panic'd and f'ed up moments.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It's finally all one color! It was a nightmare that keeps on growing. There were too many issues to go into right now as I have been working on it since 9am yesterday, with no sleep, but most of the problems should sand and buff out in the clear. Those that won't, I don't care. Right now I need to figure out how to get it home. It is in a paint booth 20 miles away with a hole in the fuel line that needs to be fixed before I can drive it.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Oh, and plenty of pics were taken, I just don't have time to upload them yet as I still gotta find a way to get the car back home so I cam collapse and fall asleep for the next 20 hours or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor