Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was gonna say I may possibly have a brand new set of the adapters that you need, not sure though, and I am nowhere near them so if you're in no hurry I could send them later probably

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
The thing I didn't mention is that when I found that switch I had to go to the bathroom REALLY, REALLY BAD!!!! (and it wasn't just a quick pee either...) I was at the end of the last row of the junkyard, standing in mud and swamp water while wearing my customary flip flops.

LMFAO!!
I don't know you, never seen you in my life, but dude I am almost pissing myself laughing at this visual of a guy doing a pee dance, in flip flops (i'll add a bermuda/hawaii type shirt) at the far end of a scrapyard.

Aw, jesus, I can't stop laughin.

I didn't have to pee so much as poo.... Yes, the turtle was a pokin his head out and it was all I could do to keep him in his place...

As for clothes, I usually wear cheap blue or gray Tee shirts with a set of denim shorts that have holes, and stains from various automotive fluids and paints on them. I have never had much fashion sense as I have never had much reason to.

Truth be told, I'll bet that has happened to more than one of us. I can say this, I *KNOW* that has happened... :shock: :oops:

86Cutlass383SR said:
Truth be told, I'll bet that has happened to more than one of us. I can say this, I *KNOW* that has happened... :shock: :oops:

Ya, no 'sh*t'
I usually try to hold it until I realize I llok like a knob dancing around, then I 'head' to the nearest hydrant.

lol,i didnt get any shorts this summer,so the closest thing to them is ripped jeans,or as i like to say "Well Ventilated" jeans,perfect for hot summer days at the yard.

I always try to hit the john before I get to the 'yard but it seems Mother Nature always kicks in early. Old saying, "When Mother Nature calls, somebody BETTER listen!!!"

Anyhow, a slightly more serious update. I believe I found the leak in the driver's side. The window was not tight enough and was letting water in. I think I have it fixed now as the hose does not reveal a serious leak when running against the window now. I also am working on a solution to the car's lack of a power passenger's seat. I have most of the parts, but it may get put off for a later date as I am out of money to play with right now and just want to put the damn car back together already! Also on the will have to wait list is the A/C and cruise control. All three items combined will probably cost me $100 to finish when I get some cash coming in again. However, the roof on my house needs the cash as does my insurance down payment. Plus, this is the worst time of the year for pizza delivery as no one has any cash due to school starting.

Still leaking water, this time through the hood release cable hole. I will deal with that tomorrow. For today, I scienced out the wiring for the use of a driver's side 88 Cutlass Ciera 3 motor seat track used on the passenger's side seat. Basically, you have three motors: one for back and forth, one front tilt and one rear tilt. The plugs in the motors are interchangeable. To use a driver's side switch and wiring harness, you need to interchange the two tilt motor plugs, and then switch the wires in each plug so that they are reversed. Each plug has 2 wires in it and switching them simply switches the direction everything moves in. This can be done by popping open the connector, then using a tiny jewler's screw driver to release the pins in the bottom of each terminal. You can see them with it opened up. Just switch sides, and presto! They work in reverse! Now all you need are a 10 gauge power wire and ground wire run to the driver's side seat. Sadly, I only have one of the two harnesses I need to run both seats, and I am debating going to pull the second tomorrow. It will probably cost me $30 for the wiring, switch, and gas to get there and I don't think I should spend it.

I also put my Oldsmobile Intrigue multi function mirror in today and it works. It gives me the "C" error code, which means it needs to be driven slowly in a circle until it orients itself. This is normal and it will go away once it is done. As for the wiring, here it is for anyone who wants to do this conversion: Orange mirror wire is constant positive. I used the orange dome light wire for this. Gray is switched negative. I used the white dome light wire for this (remember: GM uses a constant hot and a switched negative for the dome light on our cars). Black-ground. I installed a ring connector and drilled a small hole under the headliner trim piece. Brown- Hot in run. I ran a wire down to it and put a spade connector on it. It is plugged in to the connector next to the A/C fuse with the 10 ga orange with black tracer wire running off it. I believe this is the power seat connector. The green wire I did not run. It is supposed to run to the backup lights in the Intrigue (actually, the transmission selector switch), but it may be a 5 volt data line and not a 12 volt. So, running it may cause the thing to burn out. Remember that about modern cars with multiplex wiring.

Finally, in the nothing goes easy department: The bracket the mirror attaches with is loose on the mirror stand, and so the mirror will not attach securely. I now have to epoxy it and hope that holds and does not get in the way of the installation.

Tonight's progress: (yes, I work tirelessly, day and night to get this damn thing finished already!) I finally cleaned the driver's seat with Simple Green and a scrub brush for the velour, and with a sponge for the vinyl. The Vinyl had a little mold on it, so I sponged it off and sprayed it off with the hose when I did the rest of the seat. Using a hose flushes the pores of the velour and carpet out. Plus, Simple Green is a degreaser that is safe for upholstery and carpet. I use it to get grease stains out of upholstery all the time, and to defunktify the seats in the pizza truck once every 50k miles. The hose washes everything out, but you do have to vacuum the water out with a shop vac when you are done, and let them drain and dry for 1-2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor