Bumper Strips for my '79 Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.
87LS/88SS said:
You can get those chrome strips at any Autozone. Just buy the 2in strip and the 3/4in strip. All together it cost me around $45.00

Wow, that actually looks better than the original. And that's a sweet Monte. I want to build a lowrider G-body some day. Either one like yours or an 80 Grand Prix.

custom442 said:
Blake442 said:
Chrome spray paint does not react well with clear coat. Give it a try and see what I mean. It turns all blotchy and mottled looking.
It also doesn't hold up well against being handled, or the elements for that matter.
It looks great on something you'll never touch.
I've used it a number of times on the inside of turn signal housings where the original plating had faded, but weren't worth the trouble of having redone.

Try letting the paint cure for a few weeks or a month next time. It shouldn't affect the chrome paint at all

I'm not that patient! :lol:
I let it dry for over a week, and it did the same thing as the stuff that had been dry for just a few hours... lame. I even tried about 4 different flavors of clear coat... oh well.

87LS/88SS, does the stuff from autozone fit down into the grooves or just lay on top? How long have you had it on your car?

ibeeel2, let me know how the stuff from flexchrome.com looks on your car.

Thanks for all the help. Hoping to "refresh" the paint on the car this winter. My strips aren't too bad, but I'd like to know my options.

Anybody going to the Car Craft Summer Nationals in Minneapolis this weekend? If so, see ya there! 😀

rmorman said:
87LS/88SS, does the stuff from autozone fit down into the grooves or just lay on top? How long have you had it on your car?

ibeeel2, let me know how the stuff from flexchrome.com looks on your car.

Thanks for all the help. Hoping to "refresh" the paint on the car this winter. My strips aren't too bad, but I'd like to know my options.

Anybody going to the Car Craft Summer Nationals in Minneapolis this weekend? If so, see ya there! 😀

It is the exact same stuff those guys are selling on Ebay, and no it doesn't fit in the grooves (does not have 3 sides). That is why I'm not a fan of it, but it will do until I can find some NOS trim or something just as good.

Blake442 said:
I'm not that patient! :lol:
I let it dry for over a week, and it did the same thing as the stuff that had been dry for just a few hours... lame. I even tried about 4 different flavors of clear coat... oh well.

:lol: from my experience, after about a month of letting just about any paint sit, it's pretty solid for any painting over or waxing that you'd want to do. I guess you don't even need to clear coat it, long as it's loaded with wax

I've screwed up huge panels before trying to wax after a week & a few days 😳 gotta learn the hard way 😛

rmorman said:

Yay! Finally somebody else is going!

I was attempting to take a roll call of whose going, but it looks like its just us until more people speak up!
http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=88548#88548

Keep your eyes peeled for a super loud grey and silver '85 442!

Phoenyx said:
87LS/88SS said:
You can get those chrome strips at any Autozone. Just buy the 2in strip and the 3/4in strip. All together it cost me around $45.00

Wow, that actually looks better than the original. And that's a sweet Monte. I want to build a lowrider G-body some day. Either one like yours or an 80 Grand Prix.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor