Bumpers I think I know the answer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Ok my Cutlass is missing its bumpers (its an 80 with the metal bumpers). I have been walking past a 81 or 82 Regal in the yard for months now without ever thinking if the bumpers would fit just assuming they would not. I had thought about a front clip swap but that idea went out the window.

I then got looking at the pictures and the bumpers do look VERY similar. Is it possible that the Regal bumpers would fit? I was going to yank the bumper supports from it anyway so if I can might as well grab the full bumpers. I think the Regal bumpers are not quite as deep as the stock Olds bumpers, would they possibly fit but not stick out as far? I would be just fine with that.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Physically they should bolt right on, cosmetically will not look right, you would pretty much have to make filler panels to make up for the huge gaps you would have, I doubt the buick fillers would fit right either. But if you did it, and did it well, I think it would look good, since the buick bumpers are less bulbous.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Well I decided to go for it and give it a try because I do not really care for the huge bumpers that would have been stock on this car. However I am going to shorten the bumper supports to pull the bumpers in quite a bit. This should give it more of the look of a 60's muscle car bumper wise before we got the huge rubber bits and later on huge bumpers.

Besides I can try it out and if I can't make it look right just sell those and keep looking for bumpers. Heck I can always go back to my idea of grafting on the full Buick front end but that would be weirder.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Well plans have changed again looks like I might be going with the full Regal front swap after all and a few other differences, girl friend likes the idea as well.

86Limited

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2009
The Gunshine State, Fl
Post some pics when your all good to go and finished, I'm curious how Its all going to look when its together. Good luck and maybe everything will bolt right up for ya.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
I'm fairly set on doing the full swap now, had the idea before let others talk me out of it but as someone said in another thread I need to build my car for me not the "purists" They are already going to be upset that I will have a Chevy engine in the Olds so why not make it a complete hatred by putting the Buick front on the car as well?

That being said I may still do a test fitting of the bumpers on the car in case someone else wants to go that route in the future. One thing that will need to be done to pull the bumper in close to the front end you will more than likely need to notch the top of the bumper to allow for the header grill section. Also the supports will have to be shortened I'm sure. Small filler panels may have to be made but those should not be to difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor