Caballero Experts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

all4gss

Apprentice
Aug 8, 2009
Bella Vista, AR
I'm looking for some Caballero reference material and I'm not having much luck.

I purchased a 1980 Caballero last month and have been doing some work on it here and there. Through some VIN research I found that it was originally a v-6 car. I do believe it is a factory manual shift car but it would have come with a 3-speed behind that v6.

Since I knew the 350 had been swapped in at some point I did some research on the qjet serial number and the intake/block casting numbers and it appears someone swapped in a 1980 L82 vette engine.

While swapping in some moog 5660 springs and rebuilding the LCA's with new bushings and ball joints I noticed that it has the heavy front sway bar and a rear sway bar. They measure to be the same as my old '84 cutlass which was an F41 option car.

Digging around in the glove box I found a "Caballero Laredo" dash emblem. According to what I can find the "Laredo" is akin to the elco SS package which explains the factory rally pack guage cluster.

So what i'm hunting for and what I'm hoping someone on here may be able to help me with is an options list for a Caballero Laredo. It will help me decide what direction to go with the pickup. Right now it is white with Chevy red/orange above the body line w/ white racing stripes over a cowl hood.

Attachments

• IMG_00000192.jpg
    IMG_00000192.jpg
    750.4 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_00000193.jpg
    IMG_00000193.jpg
    674.2 KB · Views: 318
IT'S NOT A PICK UP , IT'S A CAR!!!!! 😛

You would need to find the build sheet to find out more about the car since you already decoded the vin.

If you get me to numbers off the firewall plate I may be able to help you some more

but it has a bed=>truck :lol: we could argue this one for decades

In Australia, it would be called a "Ute" ! 😀

Thanks for the link 87GP.

Turna,
I will grab those numbers next time I get a chance.

And I called it a pickup b/c it's a GMC and as we all know...

"GMC is a division of General Motors, Inc. that manufactures vehicle types including the pickup truck; sport-utility vehicle, or SUV; van; and crossover in 2WD, 4WD, and AWD configurations. GMC pickup trucks, vans, and SUVs have long represented powerful, capable, and comfortable vehicles that are equally at home in the suburbs or on the job site. In addition to light duty pickups and SUVs, GMC also manufactures a full line of medium duty commercial trucks, vans, and chassis cab products with gasoline and diesel powertrains."
- ref. www.gmc.com

At the worst you could classify it as a crossover. I affectionately refer to it as "the CRUCK" 🙂

Its insurable as a truck. Its a truck

I guess you could consider it a ..... semi-truck,...hmmm.

The official GM classification for the Camino and Caballero was "sedan pickup".
I'm sure that makes it about as clear as mud.

Bill

billyjack said:
The official GM classification for the Camino and Caballero was "sedan pickup".
I'm sure that makes it about as clear as mud.

Bill

yep definetly a car then

😛

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor