California smog a tad better than I thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
It can be maddeningly difficult to find out exactly what you can and cannot do here. Rummaging through official web sites and publications is a trip down the rabbit hole. You generally wind up making awkward arrangements to speak with a Referee Supervisor over the phone, and even then details can slip through the cracks, and you're back at it anytime a new issue confronts you. And there seems to be an endless supply of issues.

I've hit the phone on other issues, but not this one. Others say they have, and according to them, I've been laboring under a misconception for several years. I thought it was strictly forbidden here to swap any kind of truck engine into a car. These guys report that it's perfectly legal to take the engine from a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup and put it in a car.

You still have to get it past a Referee, it still has to be same or later model year, it still has to be factory stock with all emissions (or have CARB numbers for aftermarket parts), and you still have smogcheck every other year.

However, you can swap that Gen I 350 with TBI, or that iron block 5.3L LS. Theoretically, you could even swap that 454. I'm not sure the 454 would actually fit in a G-body with factory manifolds (or CARB-legal headers you can afford), but theoretically you could, if it fits and you're crazy enough.

Not exactly the G-body swapping millennium, but hey, every little bit helps.

(What gets me is -- If I could find one, I could drop one of those godawful 350 Olds diesels in there and I wouldn't even need to see a Referee, just turn up at smogcheck and they wave me through .... if they can see me through the soot.)

Last edited:

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
A 454 will fit with OEM manifolds. I guess technically per what you said...it would pass...
Has everything a 1984 Winnebago has...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The 5.3 would still fail over the OBD2 evap not being compatible with the OBD1 g body gas tank. A Erod crate kit is fine since it does not come with OBD2 evap.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Oops, yeah, I was just looking at that and was going to add a note that I wasn't sure about the EVAP. Thanks for jumping on it.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yet another reason not to move to Cali, as if I wanted too. I love being in Iowa. No inspections, no checks. Just have good tags and plates and not be a jackass in front of the black n white.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Edited to clarify ....
A 454 will fit with OEM manifolds. I guess technically per what you said...it would pass...
Has everything a 1984 Winnebago has...

It has to be light-duty, meaning (I think*) 1990-93 L19 TBI from a C1500 or C2500. A quick check at Car-Part.com found one from a 1990 C1500 .... in Canada. All the rest were from C3500s, meaning the heavy-duty version. You might get an HD past the Referee with an ECM and maybe some other parts (if you can get them), to essentially turn it into the light-duty version.

*ADDITIONAL EDIT: I've been looking through some stuff, and I'm confused as to where the line between light-duty and heavy-duty might fall. It's possible other L19s out of C2500s would work .... or not. The marketing info from GM is hard to parse. You're on your own, dagnab it, now get outta here! :confused:

Anyway, thanks for the pic. Nice to know it actually fits. Even with the stock steering shaft! (I originally said with A/C, but it doesn't seem to be hooked up .... )

Last edited:

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Yet another reason not to move to Cali, as if I wanted too. I love being in Iowa. No inspections, no checks. Just have good tags and plates and not be a jackass in front of the black n white.
Same here in KY....keep the plates, ins, and reg valid and don't screech the tires! KY banned the sniff test when i was swapping in the 355 for the poor ole 307, kinda worried at 1st, then i saw it was going bye bye!
Better yet, for some reason my cutlass "Y" code came up as a 3.8L for testing, and even insured as a v6!!??? Saved me a few $$$ over the years for sure.

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Same here in KY....keep the plates, ins, and reg valid and don't screech the tires! KY banned the sniff test when i was swapping in the 355 for the poor ole 307, kinda worried at 1st, then i saw it was going bye bye!
Better yet, for some reason my cutlass "Y" code came up as a 3.8L for testing, and even insured as a v6!!??? Saved me a few $$$ over the years for sure.

Attachments

• a719bd3525a49d0b6c55708901208dd2.jpg
    a719bd3525a49d0b6c55708901208dd2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 366
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Don't ask, don't tell lol! Even after the 355 swap i would have jackasses ask what was in there...."just an ole v6 with a bad exhaust leak".

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Sorry about the a/c, I plan on doing a serpentine swap. But, with short valve covers it all tucks in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor