California smog a tad better than I thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Sorry about the a/c, I plan on doing a serpentine swap. But, with short valve covers it all tucks in there.

No need to apologize. I don't have A/C, and we have triple-digit summers here ....

Last edited:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
SoCal at least does not have road salt to destroy your car. Saw lots of old cars running around out there.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
When I flew into LAX in the 80's there was a brown mushroom cloud over the city that you could clearly see when you flew in. California's population is greater than the population of Canada. They had to do something so it's hard to argue about the rules they put in place.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
I've done my research into this subject and honestly, its too much of a hassle to get anything done here in CA, performance wise. Yeah you can swap in an LS but you have to take it to a Ref..and so on. Its not cost effective for me to put that much money into a car i drive maybe twice a month. But thats just me...I do my part to keep the air we breathe in clean, so i have all my smog equip..growing up in Los Angeles, it has gotten better since the early 90's. Now there's less of a smog haze...but its still there. And this is only attributed to the amount of cars on the road. If less people lived here, i dont think we would have this problem.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
No need to apologize. I don't have A/C, and we have triple-digit summers here ....
Sorry about the a/c, I plan on doing a serpentine swap. But, with short valve covers it all tucks in there.
You could get A/C on that engine with V belts if you wanted to. There is a member here with a BBC and he has the old A6 (long) compressor on it, on the driver's side.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You could get A/C on that engine with V belts if you wanted to. There is a member here with a BBC and he has the old A6 (long) compressor on it, on the driver's side.

I know it will fit, finding BBC brackets is the tough part, be it long or short. Not alot of reproduction support for mid 70s-80's 454 stuff....not yet. I have a TBI setup and a SBC Vortec set up...was gonna use the adapters.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
The 5.3 would still fail over the OBD2 evap not being compatible with the OBD1 g body gas tank.

According to this thread ....

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/gn-sending-unit-for-lt1-swap.60711/

.... the LT1 has the same problem? He says (post #4) that the LT1's original tank had an on-tank vent valve, in addition to the usual vapor canister line.

The LT1 went OBDII in 1996, so maybe 1992-95 don't have this feature. The LT1 only acquired a crank sensor in 1996 because OBDII required one. But that would mean if you want SFI you'd only have two years, 1994 and 1995.

I know there aren't any LT1 truck motors, but until now it has been on my broader list of possible swaps. More nit-picky complications swapping in California?

Are you absolutely sure about this gas tank thing being a problem? As I understand it, in California the vapor canister is technically considered a feature of the vehicle being swapped into, not the engine being swapped in, even though the engine purges the canister. The same would presumably be true of an on-tank vent valve, even more since the engine has no role in the on-tank valve's operation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor