Calling all Olds engine gurus

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
from looking at you picture, it appears to be blowing out in an area that has an attaching bolt. the olds timing cover is sheet metal, with 4 water pump bolts going through it into the block and it has 4 smaller bolts that thread into the cover. so there are 8 bolts in total holding and sealing the water pump to the engine.

are all the bolts being used and is he able to tighten them fully? particularly the two bottom bolts that thread into the cover?

as stated above, verify integrity of the cover surface and it flatness.
joe

LOCOGOMEZ

Greasemonkey
May 19, 2014
Southern IL
Could it be possible that the bottom bolt is not seating all the way down? How is the cavity where it bolts in? Sometimes you might think it flush but its not and might be caked in there with dirt etc... I had the same issues in trying to figure out a leak in my one of my unit's hummer, and was filled with crud. Sometimes you have to walk away drink a 12-pack and go at it again:friday:. It could be the littlest thing sometimes and then you wanna kick your own @ss..:rofl:

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I've never had a water pump gasket fail on any of my Olds motors! This is a new one for me. Here's a couple of things to try...

1. The Felpro water pump gasket pack comes with a number of styles to fits a few different types of water pumps for Olds. They are all slightly different, so make sure you match the gasket EXACTLY!
2. Because I'm mounting a cast pump to a sheet metal timing cover, I've always put RTV around both entire faces of the gasket before bolting it up.

I have a number of spare water pump gaskets in my garage I've collected...none of them matched what I was using, but could help you out if there's a matching gasket. Would you like some pics?

Antonio Briscoe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2016
Well ive got an olds 350 and i know that they provide three different gaskets in the set,make sure youre using the right one..as ive put the wrong one on start the engine and i leaks and i wanna say it was in that same spot as well but im no guru its just an easy mistake to make

Carl1984Gbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2017
My dad has been having a hell of a time keeping water pump gaskets in his 68 Olds 442 'vert with a mild 455 in it. The problem started last year. Water pump gasket blew out, replaced the gasket it blew in the exact same spot again. Replaced pump with another stocker and with new gasket it blew again, same spot. Ordered an aluminum pump with a new gasket of course and on the first test drive last night it blew out AGAIN. To recap, this car has had 3 different pumps....2 stock pumps and one aftermarket Milodon aluminum pump.

This is where the gasket blows out everytime. And yes block is clean with no visible damage. View attachment 69188 This is the result after a test drive around the block.
View attachment 69189
Any ideas here guys? This engine has been in the car and running for about 10 years. Issue only started last year out of no where. My dad is at a loss and doesn't even want to look at the car anymore.

Like has been said, make sure all is clean, block, timing clover plate, etc., I had some pitting on my cover plate and put a dab of permatex right stuff, no leak. Some of the new brake cleans can leave a residue (the low CFC crap), learned that from an engine builder. I now take a scuff pad or say 400 grit and make sure it is completely clean of anything and only metal surface, no issues as of yet.

I use a dab of the right stuff on trans pans, diffs, etc. smooth it on the surface and gasket, seals like no other. Now it can be a b*tch getting off, but it will seal very well, just a dab now. Good luck.

330 uhc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2017
Spent the day with a buddy whose been wrenching since the mid forties...in between installing an ac compressor on a mustang I asked him about olds big blocks blowing out water pump gaskets...my first post was about the bypass being plugged...it was the first thing out of him as well...went on to say blocked bypass was common on 455 olds, which ran hot to begin with...like chevvies too I guess...anyway, when I first saw the question posted my first thought was not about the gasket, but about there being pressure involved...probably a cracked head...maybe a blocked heater core...he then elaborated that his family shop saw a good number of 455 heads with hairline cracks between the center two cylinders, allowing cylinder pressurization of the coolant passages...not saying its your issue, but a clue is that you ony drove it around the block and it failed...too quick to be hot...has to be pressure...just my two cents...

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Spent the day with a buddy whose been wrenching since the mid forties...in between installing an ac compressor on a mustang I asked him about olds big blocks blowing out water pump gaskets...my first post was about the bypass being plugged...it was the first thing out of him as well...went on to say blocked bypass was common on 455 olds, which ran hot to begin with...like chevvies too I guess...anyway, when I first saw the question posted my first thought was not about the gasket, but about there being pressure involved...probably a cracked head...maybe a blocked heater core...he then elaborated that his family shop saw a good number of 455 heads with hairline cracks between the center two cylinders, allowing cylinder pressurization of the coolant passages...not saying its your issue, but a clue is that you ony drove it around the block and it failed...too quick to be hot...has to be pressure...just my two cents...

I concur that it could be a head issue... I wonder what the OP has discovered since the initial post?

I have a crazy idea but could the issue be that the engine has a head gasket leak? Maybe the head gasket leak is causing pressure buildup thus blowing out the gasket in that spot?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor