CUTLASS Can anyone confirm the location of a vacuum ball behind passenger headlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've posted this in another thread, but here is an actual A4 NOS intake for a flat tappet SBO. It has the correct casting number for 83 (I think) and 84 H/O and 85 442 (86-87 442 used peanut port A5 intake). The issue is, this intake had several different part numbers on the box over the years and started to include earlier engines such as the 79-80 350R engines and such. AFAIK, though, the casting number stayed the same.

The one below is EXCATLY like what's found on the 307 9 engines with the exception of the EFE valve port is not drilled/tapped from the factory. I bought this one off ebay strictly by the pictures as the box was in tatters. The casting number was the same so I jumped on it (it was relatively cheap). I was too dumb at the time to realize I'd have to drill/tap my own EFE port on the driver side rear. Boss is there, though.

1677701033806.png

Reactions: 1 users

RotaryLvr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2022
Definitely an educational discussion! I'm continually learning. I did go to the Pullapart and picked up some plastic vacuum tubing with the connectors. I know that I could just use some rubber tubing, but it doesn't seem right to not do it properly. So, the new stuff is black and I got some white stuff, but no pink/purple. They really only had a 1985 98 so that did not have any tubing. (Sideways v6 I think). But there was a 93 Olds Ciera S next to it that had some of the black vacuum tubing. I thought for sure the 1985 Olds would have something I could use, but to no avail...although I did grab the power antenna.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Black tubing is fine just make note what it's being used for.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you bought a power antenna from that 98, there isn't much you can use from it. It mounts differently as well as the mast tube is different. If it was from an 85 Toro, it would be the same antenna. Delta I think is a tad different than G, but the service antenna is the same for 85 B, E, and G body Olds. In the end, they whittled it down to ONE single part number to cover a bazillion applications and it's a POS antenna, 88891017. The GENERIC power antenna. You surely don't want that one.

Here's a picture of that POS. It's an antenna. That's about it.
1677762870429.png

They're not hard to fix if you have what you need. They used to sell tubes/masts where you just pop the unit out, and swap the cable and entire mast and tube and you're done. They do have kits to replace the mast end (last top section) and the cable, but they're more involved.

In either case, you're dealing with the #1 cause of power antenna death in these cars which is a broken nylon operating cable. Even if you score an "NOS" antenna complete, you still have a 20+ year old nylon cable WHICH EVENTUALLY WILL BREAK.

Best bet is to replace the cable/mast tip assembly with a flexible steel cable version. Motors only run for a short short time on these, so as long as they don't get wet and corrode, they should last the life of the car. Once you get rid of the nylon cable, it should be bullet-proof. Because it is a PITA to remove/install the Cutlass power antenna.

88hurstolds sells mast tips with a flexible and heartier cable than the aftermarket version and this is the best way to go IMO. It's a flex cable similar to the Lightning Rods shifter tube button cables that run through each handle. Contact him if you're interested.

This pic is more what yours looks like, or needs to look like. There's a lower bracket that's tack welded onto the original tube for lower mounting, which in this pic is in a separate baggie to the left, as the replacements needed to be held on with screws.

1677763260329.png

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you want to attempt to fix your power antenna yourself, this will give you an idea of what you're up against. Second vid shows how to do the steel cable thing. Not hard, just don't bend anything or lose anything and you should be fine. These are Regals, but Cutlass is pretty much the same, save the lower bracket is bolted to the inner side of the fender support. SUPER PITA to get to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor