Can anyone identify this horrendous rattling noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
That was my first thought as well. I had a convertor come apart internally and sounded just like that. I could even hear it rattle without the engine running, just by slamming the door.

So slamming the door didn't help but I tapped the cats with a rubber mallet and I'm fairly certain it's the drivers side cat. You can hear similar rattling. I'm going to inspect the flexplate one more time tomorrow to rule that out for sure.

Reactions: 2 users

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
FYI, the flex plate can be cracked in a circular like pattern surrounding the crank hub bolt area. Nearly impossible to see with the transmission bolted to the engine.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Think that if it was a loose bolt the noise would be a lot louder with a lot more rattle to it. Ran a video a day or so back in which the truck in question had that kind of noise and not only were the converter to flex plate bolts loose but so were the flex plate to the flywheel ones as well. Flex plate was junk; mounting holes totally egged out. Noise wise, it sounded a lot like someone had put a bunch of nuts in a gallon pail and was shaking it quite energetically.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor