HELP Can Cadillac seats be installed in a G-body?

jhjohnson

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2023
Does anyone know if Cadillac Deville seats from 85-93 can be installed in a G-body?

Last edited:
The Deville seats are buckets. They have two tracks per seat. Your bench only has the outboard tracks. You are missing the brackets welded to the floorwell that the inboard tracks bolt onto. So yeah, this is not much different than the situation that you would encounter with any buckets, including the "correct" G-body buckets. However, the spacing between inboard and outboard tracks can be different, for example, in 3rd Gen F-bodies the spacing is narrower. You can get the brackets to weld in, but they are shaped to fit the floorwell shape exactly where G-body track spacing expects them. If the track spacing is different, or you just don't want to weld the brackets in, some kind of adaptation will be required.
That's why I said use the original tracks if possible. It's easier to adapt the seat to the tracks than adapting the tracks to the floor. If I read your post correctly, you now have a bench seat in the car. It makes the change a little more difficult. Maybe you can find used, worn out G body seats and mount the Cadillac seats to the frames. If you can go this route, grab the mounts from the G body floor because the mounts are different heights to make the seat level. Back in the 80's, I put 68 Camaro seats in my Buick and being young and dumb, I just used pieces of pipe and washers to make the seats level, which they were not. They were very uncomfortable because they were crooked. Also, make sure the mounts are very secure, preferably welded to the floor. You don't want the seat to break loose in an accident!

• Agree
Reactions: Sweet_Johnny
My 1983 Bonnewagon came with a bench seat. I swapped in 1995 Buick 6-way power bases. The 1994 Firebird buckets bolted right up to the bases. The only bolt that located correctly was the outer forward one that the bench used. The rest I just drilled the floor, and used big-azz washers underneath. I like a more upright seating position, so I fabricated tall brackets to raise the rear of the Buick tracks.

I think the Caddy seats might be too wide however, a few measurement will quickly let you know.
When I mounted my BMW seats into my Malibu I used the mounts attached to the floor, then used 1/4x2” flat stock as an adapter for the BMW seat frames to bolt to. Worked well. It’s solid and level. And way more comfortable than the factory bench seat.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor