Can someone give me a link to a good regal build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuickLove

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 13, 2015
Gatlinburg TN
I have an 86 regal limited need a good thread to look at, looking to either build the 307 currently in the car or put in a 350. I would like a nice cam, doesn't have to have balls but I want something that looks and sounds good. This will be a street car, no emissions here in TN.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
You should just sweeten the car up a little to your liking - You didn't mention how the paint is on the car, a nice set of wheels, if the 307 is in good shape stick a cam in it with some good sounding duals.

BuickLove

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 13, 2015
Gatlinburg TN
Body us straight but needs paint, also it used to have a vinyl top, previous owner took it off and now there are awful rust spot at the roof seam. doing the vinyl top delete since I already will have to have the rust fixed. Took all the trim off and everything looks good everywhere else except those roof seams. The car runs and drives well, I only paid $600 for it. Just got a call from my grandfather he said he has a built 350 for sale don't know the specs yet but hopefully I can eventually drop it in this regal. Baby steps...

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
If your grandfather is anything like me that engine will be in your car. That brings up other concerns, your transmission won't work w/ the 350 and if that engine is putting out some power the 7.5 rear won't last long. Biggest thing right now is making it look pretty. This is my 83
83 regal 013.jpg

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
If it were my car, I'd ditch the 307 and find a bigger small block Olds to drop in it since that keeps things cheap and easy. You could even go with a 455 and it still isn't a bad swap. Either way, you're probably looking at a trans change since it most likely has a THM-200 that wouldn't live long.

If you go the Chevy route everything has to change from the Olds setup. As for an SS rear end, nothing special about them except better gearing. The best factory set-up is the 8.5" from a GN, 442 or T-type but be prepared to pay for one. The money starts flying quick when you want to build something to go fast.

BuickLove

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 13, 2015
Gatlinburg TN
So what would need to be changed if this 350 sbc my grandfather has is a chevy? I think he mentioned it has a 350 turbo Trans with it but not positive... I'm more about looks and sound but my husband wants it to go fast.... I would be fine with it just breaking the tires loose from the pavement that's enough for me, I'm not going to drag race the thing

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
If he has the engine and trans it's pretty much a bolt in - you will need some chevy motor mounts and possibly a drive shaft depending on the transmissions. One thing you need to do is find out exactly what you have cause to do it right it need to be a package deal from the carb - heads - cam - compression - converter - to the rear. Sounds like you just want a cruiser in which case making it look good would be first priority and the 7.5 will live. I would decide what I wanted to do with the car, start collecting parts, keep the car it tacked and set up for a winter project.

BuickLove

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 13, 2015
Gatlinburg TN
Alrighty that's what I needed to know, all he told me was that it had a big cam in it and double hump heads, he lives 5 hours away hopefully I can get more info on the specs before going to get it. He has people build his cars for him so he's not super savvy on what's in it. But for now we're focused on the body and getting that straightened out and painted so maybe I can at least cruise in the rod runs this fall. I still need bumper fillers idk if the cheap ones on ebay are any good or what

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor