can someone help me with a cooling system question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you have alot of heat and the hose is collapsing it sounds like your thermostat could be the problem...also your not supposed to go more than a 50/50 split.. antifreeze does not cool an engine efficiently

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
:blam: obviously i filled it up to the full hot line not right to the top lol what could the thermostat be doing if it opened as soon as the engine warmed up and the fluid level in the rad went down? as far as the gauge temp goes, its always around or a little lower than 100 and never over-heats. the only thing is the collapsed rad hose, so im assuming its working properly.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
cutlassguy said:
:blam: obviously i filled it up to the full hot line not right to the top lol what could the thermostat be doing if it opened as soon as the engine warmed up and the fluid level in the rad went down? as far as the gauge temp goes, its always around or a little lower than 100 and never over-heats. the only thing is the collapsed rad hose, so im assuming its working properly.

I was thinking if fluid is pulled fast enough to collapse the hose then the fluid must be flowing too slow to fill the void and since the thermostat is what controls the flow of that line I thought may be it could be a problem...but I won't bother you with anymore of my ridiculous suggestions..

455rocket

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2011
PA
Sounds like an air pocket. Warm the car up till the stat opens and have someone rev the motor up and hold it steady. If it pulls the level down top it off and put the cap back on while the motor is reved up. As suggested a new rad cap for sure.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
i ran it until the thermostat opened up when i filled it up. it ran for about 10 mins with a full rad then as soon as it got closer to 100, when im assuming the thermostat opened, the level dropped about an inch or so in the rad so i filled it back up and let it run for another 5 minutes to let any air escape. still the same thing. i dont think its a soft hose or what-ever cuz there isnt any pressure in the system to even expand it. also the thermostat seems to be working seeing as its never over-heated even after a few hours on the highway. good heat and never seen it above 100 degrees. something seems to be causing a vaccum in the system but everything works good and it only goes through about an inch in the rad over a 3-4 month period. itsa wierd one...

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
a little update, i was under the hood earlier today while it was running for another issue and i noticed the hose (this time) had lots of pressure and wasnt collasped at all. ????

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Looking at the responses from the others..does it have the correct radiator cap? Has is been tested or is it a cheap one from china? How about the radiator itself? Stock or aftermarket? Which hose is collapsing the upper or lower radiator hose? The old days there was a spring they put in the lower rad hose to keep it from collapsing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor