Can't Stop My Belt Squeel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
this is an olds 350 with no AC and no air pump. i am running a dual groove PS pulley. i have one belt going around the crank, water pump and then to the PS. my other belt is water pump to PS to alternator. my belt squeel is coming from the crank going up to the water pump i know because i spray belt dressing on the crank in this groove and the squeel will go away temperarely. this belt is as tight as i will be able to get it and tighter than i would ever make a belt that i am not having issues with. i have spent about 5 or 6 stressful hours of adjusting my pain in the *ss PS brackets making sure they are straight with the other pulleys and actually going through one PS pump already. it doesn't squeel in drive because the crank isn't spinning as freely (if that make sence to anyone other than me) i know that by adding some sort of idler pulley that is adjustable over on the passanger side of the engine that helps turn the waterpump through the crank. i know olds guys are loosing the AC and Smog all the time so i know i can't be the only person having these issues.

help please before i lose it....

i cam take a pic of my belt setup if it will help

I know this sounds crazy, but try loosening the alt belt. Mine was squealing and for what ever reason I decided to loosen it and the squealing stopped :wtf:

i had a similar issue. when i removed the ac from my 305 it squealed but after tightening it it was ok but then after lousining it a verry little bit it was gone

removing the ac alone would be fine when you remove the ac and air pump thats when you run into the issues

i am going to try to scuff up the groove where my PS belt goes on the crank because i did paint it to try to get some better grip as well as try loosening my alternator, its worth a try

redsx2434 said:
this is an olds 350 with no AC and no air pump. i am running a dual groove PS pulley. i have one belt going around the crank, water pump and then to the PS. my other belt is water pump to PS to alternator. my belt squeel is coming from the crank going up to the water pump i know because i spray belt dressing on the crank in this groove and the squeel will go away temperarely. this belt is as tight as i will be able to get it and tighter than i would ever make a belt that i am not having issues with. i have spent about 5 or 6 stressful hours of adjusting my pain in the *ss PS brackets making sure they are straight with the other pulleys and actually going through one PS pump already. it doesn't squeel in drive because the crank isn't spinning as freely (if that make sence to anyone other than me) i know that by adding some sort of idler pulley that is adjustable over on the passanger side of the engine that helps turn the waterpump through the crank. i know olds guys are loosing the AC and Smog all the time so i know i can't be the only person having these issues.

help please before i lose it....

i cam take a pic of my belt setup if it will help

First, loose the dual groove PS pulley. It's nearly impossible to get both belts properly tensioned. Second, do you have the two spacers between the PS pump bracket and block? One goes between the bracket and the bottom stud on the front cover. The other goes between the bottom bracket and the side of the block behind the pump. Third, are you properly tensioning the pump? There are three fasteners that need to be loosened, the two bolts on the front of the pump (under the pulley) and the nut on the back of the pump. Once these are loose, there is a tab on the bracket behind the pulley, on the inboard side of the pump nose. You are supposed to use a pry bar between this tab and the pump nose to tension the belt. If you must use the dual belt pulley, loosen the alternator, then tighten the PS pump belt FIRST, then tighten the alternator. Again, this is difficult to get both to the same tension.

yup thats exactly what i did an the tensions are all good it is just the crank seems to be spinning too fast for everything to keep up with the one belt being the only going down to the crank. another option i suppose i have is to get a three groove crank pulley which would allow that alternator belt to wrap around the crank and that would make that belt touching everything (crank, water pump, PS and alt)

also does anybody have a part number on a 3 groove crank pulley that will fit my on my balancer correctly (77 olds 350)

Are you 100% sure that you got the right belt with the right pitch?

If the belt is right , put a lite coat of Hi- tack on the grooves in the pulleys, will never slip again.

i couldn't get my belt to stop squeeling when i took the belt off my AC on my 307, brand new belts i tried tightning, belt dressing etc... but it wouldn't stop. i put my ac belt back on and its been fine since. if you ask me its a bad pulley design.

stss95 said:
i put my ac belt back on and its been fine since. if you ask me its a bad pulley design.

So, it's a "bad design" because it works as it was intended to be used (WITH the A/C) but doesn't work in a way that it was not intended to be used (without the A/C)????? :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor