Can't Stop My Belt Squeel

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just replaced the belt running off my waterpump to my power stearing and crank fan and it fts pretty easy didnt take too long to switch up n i bought it from naa i believe the part number is 7450 i could be wrong but i ill def dbl check when i head home in the next few days. Does any one which belt woul fit properly for the alt and crank fan i bought one belt that was too big

84cutlassjuggalo said:
i just replaced the belt running off my waterpump to my power stearing and crank fan and it fts pretty easy didnt take too long to switch up n i bought it from naa i believe the part number is 7450 i could be wrong but i ill def dbl check when i head home in the next few days. Does any one which belt woul fit properly for the alt and crank fan i bought one belt that was too big

well im looking for a belt that goes straight from the water pump to the crank and doesn't go any accesseries, it will be a challenge to get on but this looks like my number 1 option at this point

if not anybody have a part number on an olds 3 groove crank pulley

alright so this is what it came down to. i fixed my belt squeel pretty much on plan Z and what i wastrying to avoid although it ended up not being hard. i needed to find a way to have my alternator belt get down to my crank instead of it feeing off the water pump. i couldn't do this with my V8 crank and water pump pulleys. my 231 v6 water pump pulley worked almost perfectly for my i just needed to stick 4 washers (one for each bolt) behind it and it was lined up right. the crank was more difficult. the v6 crank is a 6 bolt design while the olds v8 is a 4 bolt design. i had to drill out the 4 holes in the v6 crank perfect so that it would be in balence when the car was running and i caught a break and was able to get it right the first time. once i had that done with a couple trips to the parts store to find the right belt (i measured with twine the first time, i guess it might stretch when i measured it) anyways i ended up with the right size belts and now i can start up my car without scaring all the cats in the neighborhood

it was thoroughly frustrating and i spent at least 12 hours between my pulley alignment and trying different things. i guess every engine swap will have its one part that never works out but i would rather be fixing my pulleys than spinning a bearing on first startup or something serious

glad to hear you got the problem stopped

Re: Can't Stop My Belt Squeal

OK, so I had to replace the A/C compressor on my stock 1984 307 recently. Given all the hoo-haa over the belt design and squealing, I ran the car with the A/C belt off, just for the heck of it. The PS pump was properly tensioned. The alternator belt is the silly design that goes to the fan pulley only. The brackets and pulleys are stock. Belts are no-name brand from Advance. Fired the car up, not a peep. Again, try adjusting your PS pump properly.

Make sure all your belts are new on on correctly the pulley system needs all the belts to turn the fan pulley wich drives the alternator

sound like the prob is resolved but i agree with joe p. i have had several olds that the air didnt work so i took a side cutter to belt to eliminate it and didnt have any sqeaks. i would run alt off of fan and then crank fan and power steering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor