Can't Stop My Belt Squeel

Status
Not open for further replies.
shotgun said:
Are you 100% sure that you got the right belt with the right pitch?

If the belt is right , put a lite coat of Hi- tack on the grooves in the pulleys, will never slip again.

well when i spray the spray belt dressing into the groove on the crank it will stop the squeeking for that time the car is running but on next startup it will squeel again

so my first move i think should be clean up the groove (because the crank pulley has been painted black) and then maybe get some good belt squeel stuff (suggestions?) and hope for the best

shotgun said:
"then maybe get some good belt squeel stuff (suggestions?) and hope for the best"

"put a lite coat of Hi- tack on the grooves in the pulleys, will never slip again."

I'm lost?????

is that hi-tack spray on or brush on never seen it before, my bad

Brush on. :D

Olds belt setup is frustrating. Actually switching the alt to pass side with the factory non A/C setup works. The belt setup works just fine, if everything is as it was STOCK. I have found US made Dayco belts to be the only ones worth a sh*t. The Mexican Goodyear or similar belts will roll right off if anything is off at all. The Dayco belts do need re tightened after a few minutes of driving.

I had multiple issues with the dayco belts, I had to replace it at least once a year to keep the squalking away, also had a couple snap. I switched to an AC Delco belt a few years ago..........Problems solved :lol: .

I am betting the AC Delco are made in Mexico like Goodyear and the rest. Those belts aren't stiff enough and twist too easy. I had some thicker Goodyear's and they seem to do fine. The really cheap cogged Mexican belts actually flipped at idle! I never checked at NAPA to see what they carry.

Yeah I have the same problem with my 1980 Cutlass 4.3 setup. The AC and Air pump are both gone. I narrowed the source to be the Alt belt or the Alt bearing. My Alt belt runs from the fan to the Alt. No crank groove for it. Now when I looked up a new Power Steering pulley it shows a 2 groove. I have a one groove that goes to the crank, fan and ps pump. I'm thinking that going to the 2 grove and that will help spin more seeing the ps pump goes to the crank and that second groove will make my Alt go from Alt, PS pump and Fan.

Oh wait The setup you have is the one I thought would fix my issue! I dont know all i do know is when I take off the Alt belt there is no noise.

anybody have a part number of the belt that i could finagle on to the inside grooves of the crank to the water pump. i have heard of people being able to convince the belt to get on there with relatively decent tightness and i do believe it would fix my problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor