Car bogs and backfires??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lillee64

Apprentice
Nov 22, 2010
I have a 78 buick regal with a chevy 350 and a rochester qjet. the car idles fine but when i give it gas it backfires through the carb and/or kills. once i turn it off, it backfires about 2 seconds from the exaust pipe. the choke is opening all the way just fine, idle is great, but i think it may be running too rich?

What is the timing set at?

r u sure it idles fine? its not missin or nothin? if it does it when u give it gas it backfires and dies that kinda sounds like a timing problem. id try advanceing or retarding the distributor and see if that helps any. maybe try raiseing the number one piston to top dead center then take ur distrubutor cap off and see if the rotor bug is pointing towards the number 1 piston if it is then ur timings close. it can be off a tiny bit but if its off by a big margin then it needs to be set back in right

i had the exact same problem the last few weeks. get a timing light and a vacuum gauge. tune the carb and set the timing right (mine is about 12 degrees btdc) you'll be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor