Car Hauler Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Dont like the way the Bulldog coupler works. The Atwood is much easier to hook up. Have the same style on my landscape trailer.
at80051_16_1000.jpg

Is that superior to a regular coupler somehow? More positive engagement, more dummyproof, etc. . . maybe I should just watch a YT vid.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Is that superior to a regular coupler somehow? More positive engagement, more dummyproof, etc. . . maybe I should just watch a YT vid.
From what Ive seen the Bulldog hitch has a threaded collar that you turn to tighten it. I think that would be a pain in the butt unless you constantly keep the threads oiled up. Especially in the cold weather. The Atwood has the collar that slided down and locks. A pin goes in the hole to keep it locked. Easy.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
From what Ive seen the Bulldog hitch has a threaded collar that you turn to tighten it. I think that would be a pain in the butt unless you constantly keep the threads oiled up. Especially in the cold weather. The Atwood has the collar that slided down and locks. A pin goes in the hole to keep it locked. Easy.

That would suck, this is the Bulldog I had.

028287.png

The coupler open up to drop on, then the collar pinches it shut. Secured with a pin.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
That would suck, this is the Bulldog I had.

View attachment 217592

The coupler open up to drop on, then the collar pinches it shut. Secured with a pin.
Funny, I just looked on youtube at the bulldog hitches. We had a trailer with that style coupler at my old job back in the late 70s. Granted it was close to 45 years but Im almost positive the collar was threaded. Maybe someone else thats more familiar with that style can shed more light on how they work. Or, if the design changed.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Funny, I just looked on youtube at the bulldog hitches. We had a trailer with that style coupler at my old job back in the late 70s. Granted it was close to 45 years but Im almost positive the collar was threaded. Maybe someone else thats more familiar with that style can shed more light on how they work. Or, if the design changed.

No, I've seen the threaded Bulldogs, they're out there.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Mine is the non-threaded bulldog one, slip collar. Works well, I keep it lubed with anti-sieze.

Here's a shot from when I used to track my SS..

RACE READY.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I prefer the slip-collar Bulldog, completely encloses the ball, and is less loosey-goosey than every Atwood style I've come across (though none of them were "brand new"

Wood deck is cheaper to buy, still slippery when wet, and rot from the word go. Plus, 2023 lumber prices. First shop I worked at had a wood-floored 16' utility, those deck screws suck when it's time to change the decking. Maybe if you painted/sealed the deck top and bottom and kept it inside, it'd be better.i

I HATE side-load ramps, mine come out the rear

FOOD FOR THOUGHT about 15" wheels....there are currently NO 15" trailer tires made in the USA. My 9900GVW trailer has 16s on it (6 lug 5200# axles)

IMO, the shield on the front looks like it'd be a major wind drag when empty/not needed. But then again, I tend to haul less-than-perfect stuff

I know a guy that owned/pulled a Featherlite aluminum behind his half-ton, fought cracks the whole time he had it (bought it new, OKla roads suck). Sold it and bought a steel trailer and a 3/4 ton truck.

Reactions: 1 users

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
I prefer the slip-collar Bulldog, completely encloses the ball, and is less loosey-goosey than every Atwood style I've come across (though none of them were "brand new"

Wood deck is cheaper to buy, still slippery when wet, and rot from the word go. Plus, 2023 lumber prices. First shop I worked at had a wood-floored 16' utility, those deck screws suck when it's time to change the decking. Maybe if you painted/sealed the deck top and bottom and kept it inside, it'd be better.i

I HATE side-load ramps, mine come out the rear

FOOD FOR THOUGHT about 15" wheels....there are currently NO 15" trailer tires made in the USA. My 9900GVW trailer has 16s on it (6 lug 5200# axles)

IMO, the shield on the front looks like it'd be a major wind drag when empty/not needed. But then again, I tend to haul less-than-perfect stuff

I know a guy that owned/pulled a Featherlite aluminum behind his half-ton, fought cracks the whole time he had it (bought it new, OKla roads suck). Sold it and bought a steel trailer and a 3/4 ton truck.
Do the 16” wheels offer any performance advantages over 15’s or is it mainly appearance?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Do the 16” wheels offer any performance advantages over 15’s or is it mainly appearance?
There are still US made 16" trailer tires last time I looked. I hate seeing guys pulling trailers with either used passenger tires, or China trailer tires at 80+, which is pretty much an everyday event in my travels. Typical ST trailer tires are speed rated for 65 MPH.

I personally run LT truck tires on mine, but the experts say the side loading on tandem axles from backing maneuvers in non-trailer tires is a potential damage point,

So far, so good. YMMV

I should add that I live in a state with no inspections, no trailer tag required (unless commercial, which no one enforces) and we don't title trailers either. I'm sure you can imagine how common trailer theft is here. My late friend used to keep his on blocks with no wheels on it, to reduce the chance of theft. He originally just flattened the tires, but lost one when the thieves drug it out on 4 flats after cutting the lock off the hitch box.

Also, a trailer with working lights on it are a rarity...Okies are "different"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Also, a trailer with working lights on it are a rarity...
Funny you say that, I re-wired my whole trailer with a brand new kit, and it's good all over. Still have to kick one in the back every now and then haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor