CUTLASS Car Off Pedal Stiff Car ON Pedal builds no pressure brake light on...IM STUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD254

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2018
Texas
I have 1986 Cutlass that brakes worked fine before i did the blazer spindle swap and installed the new calipers.the lines seem to be bled fine no issues there i have replaced the master cylinder and the brake booster and the same issue when the car is off some pressure builds up when brake pedal pumps when car is turned on pedal is a mushy as mashed potatoes for a gerber baby. Just curious what else i should look into. No visible leaks checked all hoses and cylinders. at this point its gotta be something simple i would think no about to replace proportioning valve just on a whim the same way i did the booster the master cylinder was visibly leaking. Ive never had issues bleeding any of my other older gm 80s vehicles but this one is being quite difficult. Thanks in advance.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Try a pressure bleeder. I put new rear lines on my 70S. It would not even pull fluid and the prop valve was functioning. It took no time at all and fluid was flowing. It will push the air right out of the system.

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Are the bleeders at the top of the caliper? Believe it or not, I've seen calipers installed with the bleeders at the bottom more than once.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
To bleed the proportioning valve pump and hold the pedal as in regular 2 person bleeding and loosen the tubing fitting till the oil comes out. Tighten and repeat as in regular bleeding.

JD254

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2018
Texas
Are the bleeders at the top of the caliper? Believe it or not, I've seen calipers installed with the bleeders at the bottom more than once.
so they should be at the top? let me get home and double check if not i will switch them around...so with the brake bleeder being on the bottom the air cant escape? and on backwards obviousley lol

JD254

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2018
Texas
ribbed roof you are my hero i had bought the stuff for this spindle swap more than year ago and it had been sitting in garage had vacation time and got it done and never occured to me that it could be upside down and it was

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor