car rolls while in park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone_Much_Cooler

Greasemonkey
Oct 14, 2007
I have an hybrid 84 buick regal with and lc2 swapped in. The car is near street worthy. Whhen in drive it feels normal, however when i put it in park it the car will continue to roll if there is an incline as if its in neutral. anyone one have any idea wat this could be?

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Is your shifter allowing the trans to go all the way into park? GM park mechanisms are just about bulletproof. Put the shifter in park and disconnect the shift linkage from the trans. Make sure the shift lever on the trans is at the end of its travel. If that doesn't do it, you'll have to pull the pan and visually inspect the linkage.
Bill

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Someone_Much_Cooler said:
i just found out that the car got the drivetrain from, was towed while in park.

I think you may have found your problem :lol: Who in their right mind would do that?? You may have more than just a busted park pawl. The car should be towed with the drive shaft removed to keep the internals from overheating because the pump is not being driven by the engine. This may not have been a problem if the car was only towed a short distance.

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
just guessing but I think the park mechanism has now failed in that transmission. Repairing the ebrake is a cheaper alternative if the rest of the transmission works good.:D

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
ok, define towed in park please. i used to be a tow driver and called everything "towing". we didn't diferentiate between flatbedding and wheel lifting. on the flatbed or the drive wheels on the lift, you'd usually put it in park.
i feel i have to say this, as wheel lifting a g-body with the rears on the ground and in park will often pull the car right off the lift and at the least, will make for some hard driving.

84regalltd

Apprentice
Jan 3, 2010
Marietta, Ga
My 84 regal hybrid (chev 350/th350) does this as well. Thinking it's due to the lower shifter linkage, the big white one, being worn out. Got a lokar setup coming on weds and hoping to have it installed thurs. Hopefully that fixes it. Indicator says it's in park. Car starting and going backwards tells me it's obviously not in park and the neutral safety switch isn't wired up.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You know when it's in park. It makes a big loud click and a square metal finger(parking pawl) snaps down onto the clutch drum and engages a ring of square "teeth" for lack of a better term. You know that snapping sound when you accidentally put it into park while the car is still moving? That is the pawl slapping the teeth trying to catch hold. No matter what after you disconnect the linkage and verify the input shaft is going all the way to park, you need to drop the pan and see if the parking pawl is bent or busted, or the detent spring on the selector shaft may be broken, or the teeth on the drum may be chewed up. If it's the pawl you should be able to change it out from inside the pan, and the shaft it rides on gets pulled from outside the case. A factory manual shows the parts and details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor