car sat and doesnt want to start. help please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

That 4 door guy

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2010
937 Dayton, Ohio
s o the cutlass sat for a lil bit and i know its my fault for not waking her up from time to time. but shell turn over but wont start. ive tried pourin a lil bit of gas in the carb, starting fluid, nothin works. i replaced the fuel pump about 2 months after i bought it and it hasnt really been driven too much since. and shortly after that i rebuilt the carb( and yes it did come with the inline fuel filter). so am i in the right mind frame on sayin i need to replace the fuel line?? honestly it doesnt look too bad but it is a 31 year old car and it has sat for a few months. maybe the choke is stuck???? i dunno fellas. help me out. oh and its a 740 quadrajet. thanks

84cutlassjuggalo

G-Body Guru
Jun 25, 2010
Morell PEI Canada
i suggest simply putting in about $10 of gas. my 88 sat for about 6 months and wasn't started. my dad tried to prime it but almost flooded the car and every time i went to start it he insised on priming. it started but he had to hold it to the bored and it would die. i said try and just putting the gas in the tank after we got it home and startd it his way for 3 times. i trid my way once and it started no problem. try the simple first then move on to the possiblity of the fuel line

That 4 door guy

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2010
937 Dayton, Ohio
i did splash a few bucks in the tank. i did that before i used the starting fluid or gas in the carb.

Lowproelco

Greasemonkey
Jul 19, 2011
So Cal
if you primed it and it wont start even when you hit it with starter fluid sounds like your not getting any spark... pull the num 1 spark plug and check for spark..

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
KIS, yes. Is it getting gas through the carb? If you look down in the primaries and work the throttle, does gas spray out?
If yes, check for spark.

That 4 door guy

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2010
937 Dayton, Ohio
ok. i found out my timing is WAY off. and yes fuel was pumping to the carb. so all in all i think in the am ill go mess with it and see what i cant work out. my number one cylinder on the distributor was pointed towards the passenger head light hahaha i know i know im a dumbass. now i got to do another tune up and what not. but i did recognize a new problem. transmission fluid is leaking from the rear seal of the trans....great another thing on the list :roll:

Lowproelco

Greasemonkey
Jul 19, 2011
So Cal
but are you getting spark to the spark plugs... pull off one of the wires off the spark plug stick a screw driver in the boot hold in about a half inch from a metal bracket.. half someone crank it over and you should see a spark jump from the driver to the metal bracket.. if not then thats your problem..

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Honestly you might have just flooded it. I did it to mine when I gt it out for winter. I pumped it alot thinking it would need it but ended up flooding it instead. I would try and start it tomarow without pumping it. I bet it fires

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
-83MONTESS- said:
Honestly you might have just flooded it. I did it to mine when I gt it out for winter. I pumped it alot thinking it would need it but ended up flooding it instead. I would try and start it tomarow without pumping it. I bet it fires

X2.

and if it was running when you parked it, how would it get out of time?

That 4 door guy

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2010
937 Dayton, Ohio
azmalibuwagon said:
-83MONTESS- said:

X2.

and if it was running when you parked it, how would it get out of time?
ok well it didnt make sense to me either but apparently my step dad drove it for a lil bit while his truck was down. and he decided to "make it more fuel efficient" and started messin with sh*t. so not only do i have to time it, put a new rear seal in it, and this new steering column, but now new plugs and all new fluid changes. thanks alot dick. and yes it was getting spark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor