• a_car_wash.jpg
    a_car_wash.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 521

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
pontiacgp said:
On a real sunny day I apply this to my GP to protect the paint.. 8)

sunblock.jpg
I doubt you would use much of this stuff PontiacGP since it's usually dark/cloudy/snowing/raining up there in sunny canada 3/4's of the time.

crash

Master Mechanic
Feb 14, 2010
Sanford, Michigan
bill said:
crash said:
...It won't hurt your paint, the biggest risk you run is a greater chance of water spots. That is why you make sure to keep the car wet and cool the whole time.

Washing your car in the sunlight is no different then rain on a sunny day, and I bet you don't run right outside to dry the rain off :wink:

I prefer shade....a garage, a tree, a building....its not hard to find. Water spots are caused by sunlight and water droplets.....and keeping the paint wet and cool is a waste of water and almost impossible in direct sunlight...but you do it your way..and I'll do it mine.

Not trying to sell you on "my way". As stated, I only do it that way because of lack of other options. Water spots are not caused by sunlight, they are caused by mineral deposits left behind from evaporated water. Sure, sunlight evaporates water, but it is not the direct cause of water spots, you can get water spots just the same in the shade. I only use maybe two gallons of water to keep the rest of the car wet during the wash process, it isn't like you have to flood it constantly :lol:

I will continue to do things my way, it works.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sho ... shine.html
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sho ... -pics.html
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sho ... horse.html
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sho ... gator.html
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sho ... erado.html
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Next-Leve ... 3813536216

Also, so there is no confusion, it doesn't take me 8 hours to wash a car, I can do that in about 20 minutes for a quick wash or an hour for a thorough exterior wash. It is the paint correction / restoration that takes a long time.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Im not at all questioning you ability, you have it in abundance. When I was a younger man, 25yrs ago,... I made beer money detailing cars and many of them required a lot of work. I had about 10 customers in the summer and would do a couple of cars a week. I would take 4-5 hrs to clean, wax, vacuum, shampoo and detail the car. I would wash it by hand in my yard under a big oak tree, then drive it to the car wash to vacuum/shampoo, then back to the oak tree to wax it and detail it. Not only did the shade keep the car cool, it kept me cool too!.... :mrgreen: If I were you, Id invest in a simple car shed.
Nice work on the detailings....peace

crash

Master Mechanic
Feb 14, 2010
Sanford, Michigan
Trust me, a pole barn is definitely in the future, but is a ways out for now. It will come along some day, and when it does it will have a lift and a specific detailing / wash bay that is completely white with enough light to see every single little flaw in the paint. I offer mobile detailing as well, and I have been to several clients houses over the last couple years and I won't detail a car in most peoples garages due to horrible lighting. I actually prefer to do most of my work outside because of the light available on a nice day.

Don't get me wrong, I am good at what I do, but I still learn more every job I do. I was simply stating that for people like me that literally have no shade in their yard to wash, there is a way to do it and not get water spots everywhere :)

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
crash said:
Trust me, a pole barn is definitely in the future, but is a ways out for now. It will come along some day, and when it does it will have a lift and a specific detailing / wash bay that is completely white with enough light to see every single little flaw in the paint. I offer mobile detailing as well, and I have been to several clients houses over the last couple years and I won't detail a car in most peoples garages due to horrible lighting. I actually prefer to do most of my work outside because of the light available on a nice day.

Don't get me wrong, I am good at what I do, but I still learn more every job I do. I was simply stating that for people like me that literally have no shade in their yard to wash, there is a way to do it and not get water spots everywhere :)
Have you looked into the waterless car washes? They started coming out with that back when I was doing it and I was even offered to use it if I would buy it, but it just didnt seem to work well on dirty cars. The stuff out these days is suppose to be much better, and because of the lack of water, there are no spots!. Just wondering......

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
:lol:

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
crash said:
As a hobbyist detailer I am cringing at the thought of much going on in this thread :lol:
X2
Crash, as a fellow AutoGeek Online member, I'm glad you jumped into this thread. There's a reason why our old cars look as good as they do: It's grit guards, two buckets, ONR, clean WW microfibers and well-chosen products.
If anyone criticizes your OCD behavior with regard to your paint, I got your back.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor