Carb Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

washingtonb2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2010
I have been having a problem with starting my Cutlass up every morning. I had the carb rebuilt and I installed an electric choke and I am still haveing the same problem. I have to literally pat the accelerator Like 20 + times to get it to want to crank. And after about a minute or so of doing this, I will finally get it to run. The carb was rebuilt like 3 weeks ago. Can someone help me out. It is also a Q-jet.
normal_IMG_0133.JPG

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
It sounds to me as tho you fuel is draining out the carb... could be a couple things weak fuel pump (but should still have gas to start) there ar 2 welch plugs inside on the bottom of your carb and they go bad and start to leak. when rebuilding a carb that usually isnt thought to check. Well i hope someone chimes in and give u some other advice thats a little easier to fix... :roll:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
have you checked the timing and when was the last time you did a tune up....if you just had the carb rebuilt and you have the same problem as you had before the rebuild I doubt it's the carb...

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
First step is to check your choke adjustment. Floor the gas pedal and let it return. Adjust the choke so at an air temp of 60 degrees or so, the choke butterfly is just barely closed. Proper starting procedure is one or two pumps to the floor with the gas pedal, then leave your foot off the gas while cranking. If the choke is not closed, it will take a lot more pumps with the throttle to overcome the volume of air admitted to the engine by an open choke.

Bill

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
While it's cold and motor is stopped, remove air cleaner and verify that the choke flap closes all the way when the throttle is worked. If not, adjust it. Find the 2 little pump discharge ports, 1 in each bore. Work the throttle by hand and see if a good volume of gas is shooting out the discharge ports. If so, all is well, and the problem is elsewhere. If not, either the accelerator pump is bad, or your fuel is draining/evaporating/leaking away somehow.

washingtonb2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2010
Thanks guys. I will put all of this info to use as soon as the weather clears up.

washingtonb2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2010
Got a chance to get a little work in to figure out what the problem was and found out it was the fuel pump. I was driving the car off of base yesterday and kept smelling fuel. I had a real bad fuel leak from the seams of the pump. So, I got bored at 8 last night and decided to put the new pump on in 20 degree weather. I could feel my fingers for a while but I finally got it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor