Carb issues -bogging at WOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEVILSorchard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2014
Ive been dealing with this issue for a while now and its starting to get worse and fast. This is a 82 cutlass with 267 all stock.

Previously if it sat for any length it would crank for about 10-30 seconds before firing right up, a few kicks on the throttle would fire it up normally. I've assumed there's a check valve that's leaking back to the tank. It's also has a idle of about (1000-1100) and would go up to around 1750 once it warmed up. kick the gas and it would drop down to about 550 or so until it creeped back up.

about a month back it started to miss fire when I dropped the throttle to fast from idle occasionally stalling. Since then its lost power when accellerating for the first few moments after I press on the gas and pulls normal a couple seconds after. Its missing hard or surging at any higher RPM and bogging bad enough I think its going to quit but drop it back to idle or light throttle and it drives well.

Today I replaced dist. cap, rotor wires and all the vacuum lines that looked ratty today just to rule them out since the parts where on hand. Also set the base timing to 10 degrees just by pulling the vac. line from the vac. advance and setting to 10 degrees, Is this the correct procedure?

To me it feels starved of fuel. I was planning to grab a Filter and pump tomorrow but I'm just guessing any other suggestions? thanks a lot for any help you can offer

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I'd definitely rebuild the carb and also check under your rotor to see the weights and springs. See if they are sloppy. Sometimes the plastic bushings are completely gone causing it to run erratic and give false timing

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
How many miles on the car? If the carb bushings are bad, it could suck air causing weird idle. It would be easier to get a reman carb from a parts store but compare the 2 together before leaving the store. I got a reman Quadrajet from Auto Zone for an 82 Chevy truck and it had the forward fuel inlet. They got me another one in and it was correct. You can put a rebuild kit in your old one but if the bushings are bad, it won't fix it. The remans have new bushings

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Every thing Hafrod said. If that doesn't solve it then you may need a new timing chain and gears. Do you happen to remember how far the ignition timing was off? I don't remember ever seeing a 267 in a Cutlass. Is it a Canadian car?

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
You can check fuel volume with a can by disconnecting the fuel line from the carb and routing it into the can. DISCONNECT the positive wire from the distributor first and have an assistant crank the engine.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Also check for an exhaust restriction, You cann use your hand over the tail pipe and just compare it with other vehicles. It's unlikely but worth checking. I've had it happen on newer vehicles when the catalyst breaks apart and finds its way to the muffler and I've had baffles in mufflers come apart and cause it.

DEVILSorchard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2014
You guys are awesome thanks a lot for the help.

This is a Canadian car, definitely high mileage but no idea how many times its rolled around many times id imagine. I've picked up a fuel filter and pump just the piece of mind considering it cost less than a tank of gas.

To me this feels like a fuel issue and I'm thinking this carb is likely the problem, if so could I expect a gradual decline in performance or do these things suddenly leave you stranded? I do have a Quadrajet, manifold and filter housing and full gasket set I'd grabbed from a 305 at the wreckers some time ago. Would this be a bolt on and go or would I need to learn how to jet it for my engine?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The 305 stuff would be a bolt-on deal. Jetting wouldn't be prefect but probably close enough you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
The 305 stuff will work and for a stock setup it should be really close on tune. What carb is on the 267 now? Dualjets are easy rebuild.
I have seen issues with the new gas in some areas causing issues with the old rubber fuel hoses. And I've recently seen a you tube video from a member here that showed his carb was pulling charcoal from the canister into the fuel bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor