CDL Holders

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Havent drove truck for a few years now started out with an old C60 grain truck when I was 14. Growing up on a farm has its advantages, the DOT doesnt bother you unless you really mess up.
Drove a flatbed delivery truck for about 6 months and drove a box truck for a couple of years until management decided to downsize.

Reactions: 1 user

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
Check the local community colleges and trade schools .It can take from two to 3 months to get your license .I drove truck in the Marine Corps .So alot was familiar to me. And the military is another way to get experience. Just remember some people have a knack for it and some dont .I was driving truck for over 30 years Military and Class A CDL. and was an instructor as well. Good luck to you

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Check the local community colleges and trade schools .It can take from two to 3 months to get your license .I drove truck in the Marine Corps .So alot was familiar to me. And the military is another way to get experience. Just remember some people have a knack for it and some dont .I was driving truck for over 30 years Military and Class A CDL. and was an instructor as well. Good luck to you

I'm using this thread to try to get ideas on what kind of driving jobs are out there. About the only thing I thing I don't want to do for the next couple years is long haul. But I'm open to just about anything otherwise. Figured you guys that already have it might have thoughts that might help me decide.

I'm in the first week of training, will have the license at the end. Then the decisions start.

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
My recommendation if you are getting your CDL, get your class A. And take it in a manual trans rig. Since its become federally standardized you'll have restrictions on your license with trans type if you take it in an automatic.

The A is practically the same amount of effort as a class B but it will allow you to have more job opportunities if you have the A.

You should also look into getting a tanker endorsement and/or hazmat as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Yes, class A with all endorsements. Even getting passenger cause the school is including it.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm using this thread to try to get ideas on what kind of driving jobs are out there. About the only thing I thing I don't want to do for the next couple years is long haul. But I'm open to just about anything otherwise. Figured you guys that already have it might have thoughts that might help me decide.

I'm in the first week of training, will have the license at the end. Then the decisions start.
If you want to call it good new, we had a guy "medically retire" today & got word of another deciding state work isn't for him so if you want to plow snow near the house all you need is to be able to drive a standard, have tanker, have either an A or B licences. I'll admit the pay isn't going to allow you to have regular European vacations but you're home everyday with weekends off unless the weather says different.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor