check engine light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Hello a couple Weeks ago my car hit 70,000 on the odometer. its more like 170,000 lol its a five digit odometer. Anyways it hit 70,000 and my Speedo quit working and my check engine light has come on. I can't figure out why at all. I changed the spark plugs and wires also new air filter and pcv, and breather on valve cover. The car its running ok but does advt funny sometimes. Plus it died on me out of the blue one night coming home from work. I got it started but took like ten minutes.

Its a Chevy Monte Carlo 1986, 4.3 liter v6 engine.

When you jumped the diagnostic connector, what codes were displayed? Something to do with speed sensor?

He's talking about the computer dianogstics port under the steering wheel to the left. Google how to make a jumper wire and watch how many times the check engine light flashes

Ok I did the paper clip test sliding a paperclip into the ground and then into the diagnostic terminal. Got two codes that I have no clue what they mean.

Code 22= TPS voltage was under 0.2 volts for when the engine was running.

Code 24= When engine speed was between 1200 and 4400 RPM and throttle position angle was less than 3%, the MAP signal showed low voltage (high manifold vacuum) for at least 5 seconds.

Can anyone help me out explaining these to me. I'm assuming I need a new map sensor.

Did you get a different speedometer? If not that is likely the culprit since the ECM won't know how fast you are going. That will give the TPS and MAP sensor improper voltages.

code 22 is tps code , code 24 is a speed sensor ,acording to my book a tps can set both these codes. I would test or replace the tps.

81Regal said:
Did you get a different speedometer? If not that is likely the culprit since the ECM won't know how fast you are going. That will give the TPS and MAP sensor improper voltages.
I have the same Speedo but believe the Speedo cable has busted.
But since it is a mechanical Speedo I don't think it is causing the tps and map sensor to read improperly. I think I might just go ahead and replace the tps and clean the map sensor.

The speedo gauge has a speed sensor in it to tell the computer how fast the car is moving. If your speedo cable is broken, then no VSS signal which sets a trouble code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor