Check this out, it could be the coolest hot rod ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah gotcha. Maybe that's why my old man keeps telling me keep it a hobby and not a job.

Blake442 said:
Holy orange peel Batman! I guess he's waiting to color sand and buff it...

Mega: The wood floor boards and exposed trans will get covered with more stuff and won't be seen when it's done.

Honestly, I've never really been into the '20s and '30s street rods...
I've worked on way too many of them and the novelty quickly wore off.

Don't get me wrong, I've always admired the time and craftsmanship that goes into a lot of the nicer ones, but I've seen too many cobbled ones, and add those horrible rat rods on top of that and I just can't even look at them anymore.

In my eyes, they're all glorified tractors.
It'll be a nice car and it's very creative, but...
In this case, the diesel motor just makes me laugh as it reinforces my own personal prejudice...

Here's just a handfull of the tractors I had my hands in at work that helped sour my taste against the era...
'28 Chevy
33886100014_large.jpg

'36 Ford-- Check out the reflection of my Malibu wagon in the door! :lol:
33886100016_large.jpg

'36 Ford
33886100015_large.jpg

'39 Dodge
33886100017_large.jpg

Tractors eh? Thems fightin' words..... I've got tractors! They're vertical and horizontal 2cyl powered torque monsters, and their green and yella...

Seriously though those cars above are far from tractors... I'd kill for either one of the '36's you posted (like the phaeton, possibly with a built flatty or an early rocket, no hood to show the mill off, lowered a bit bias ply www's and Skylark wires... and a nice tuck n' roll interior... sweet!)

I like the older cars they're simple, they're all different, and they are from a time when styling was important, I think styling disapeared right after they killed off our G's and headed towards the 90's.... plus the old engines are so damn cool to me... I mean have you ever heard an old Buick Straight 8 through open pipes... OMG! The sound of a blown flatty is one you never forget, and a Hudson 308 has a sound all its own...

I love traditional styled hot rods, and I can respect the high dollar street rods... and all of 'em in between, but Rat Rods, not so much that was an emulation of the past that totally went wrong... since when was every hot rod in 1950 flat black, with red wheels, a saddle blanket interior, and a sh*t tone of body rot? oh and I forgot the smog eater 305 w/ a 700r4 that seems to be popular, w/ open headers, and chopped sedans that no one but a 4 year old could fit in with tires over the roof... that's a sweet look, so are tractor grilles, iron crosses, skulls, spikes, and rebar spider webs, oh and 40's and 50's truck cabs, with no fenders, hoods, or boxes, on severly "z'd" frames...that's totally sweet too....... :roll:

Also I guess you working on the old cars is like me working on the new cars... I truely hate anything with a computer controlled anything (okay there are some computer controlled heaps I'd kill for)... But the simplistic all steel, leaf sprung, drum braked "tractors" of yesteryear get me all excited! But trust me I've got to work on some lovely cobbled hot rods too... and sometimes that kills it for me... But then I think about how much better my "tractor" is going to be than the turd that I'm working on!

Oh and as far as tractor cars go... I've got this 40 sumthin' Worthington in the field, it's the frame, front clip, and cowl of a '41 Dodge truck, with a sickle mower used for mowing golf courses... It's one cool tractor...

racing8up said:
heres my hot rod its pretty cool :twisted:

late 30's GM of some sort right? 36-7ish? Longish hood makes me think Buick, Olds, maybe LaSalle or Cad? could be totally wrong though...

What's the orange steering wheel belong to?

Attachments

• IMGA03721.jpg
    IMGA03721.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 106
wrong ,wrong,and wrong,its a 1937 packard 180 coupe but yes shes caddy powered 472 bored 60 sanderson headders edelbrock intake and the list goes on it has a 70 trans-am front stub,rear is out of a 70 chevelle ss 12 bolt 456 gear steering colum is a 84 g body montie 39 ford tail lights front turn signals from a 88 harley 883 sportster seats from a 99 chevy van rear (low back buckets) fuel tank is a 85 g body cutlass wiring harness out of a 77 chevy truck headlights are model a ford 1928 i think i could go on for hours all the stuff i used to build this ill tell ya this she is fast the water pump sets just behind the center of the front wheels so she dont spin the tires very far...and the orange thing is a thomas built tractor kinda rare just like the car 😀

racing8up said:
wrong ,wrong,and wrong,its a 1937 packard 180 coupe but yes shes caddy powered 472 bored 60 sanderson headders edelbrock intake and the list goes on it has a 70 trans-am front stub,rear is out of a 70 chevelle ss 12 bolt 456 gear steering colum is a 84 g body montie 39 ford tail lights front turn signals from a 88 harley 883 sportster seats from a 99 chevy van rear (low back buckets) fuel tank is a 85 g body cutlass wiring harness out of a 77 chevy truck headlights are model a ford 1928 i think i could go on for hours all the stuff i used to build this ill tell ya this she is fast the water pump sets just behind the center of the front wheels so she dont spin the tires very far...

I figured I was wrong, the little bit of the grille in the pic looked wrong... Packards are sweet! There is a guy on the hot rod site that A was from who has a Packard powered Vega he races on the salt... pretty cool.

The fact that it's Caddy powered is even cooler... 472's and 500's kick serious *ss... I've got a 500 that's attached to an eldo transaxle that one of these days may find it's place in the bed of an old pick 'em truck (i'm thinkin' 57-60 F100)..

Oh and for everybody else... here's another odd duck... This is actually one of my top five favorite cars...

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/01 ... rambo.aspx

I absolutely love the Ferrambo. Some of the other Ridler winners over the years, not so much.

And you're right, they're not tractors, but it's close... 😛

I guess working on them day in and day out kind of takes the romance away from the hobby.
I'll admit that there were plenty of days, even weeks when it prevented me from lifting a finger on my own projects...

Those '36s were just 2 of several we built for one customer, who had a fleet of one of each body style of '36 Ford.
All were flathead powered and were bone stock.
We did the 2-dr humpback and 4-dr phaeton pictured, as well as a '36 4-dr humpback, a '36 cabriolet, a '37 phaeton, a '53 F-1, and a gorgeous '50 Mercury convertible all for the same guy.
The F-1 and the '50 Merc were the only ones that weren't stock.

I just wish I had done a better job of taking pictures of the stuff I worked on over the years... :roll:

That Packard is badass.

I LOVE it!!!! It is nice to see someone using a truly different engine in one of these things. As for it being unfinished, it clearly states that the pics are of the maiden voyage. So, it is a shakedown run and not everything is finished yet.

Having spent some time behind the wheel of a Mercedes 240D I can attest to how freaking slow them things are. How slow? I'm betting an old air cooled VW would walk away from it at a stop light. Thats stock on stock. Obviously turbo diesels would go better but Jesus, everytime I'm next to a diesel pick up I think my ride is throwing a rod or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor