Chevelle wagon???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well, I don't have a '70's "A" car handy to weigh, nor a scales nearby, so, oh well.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My 73' Grand Am weighed very close to 4,000 lbs if not over, it came with a 400 4 barrel/400 trans/dual exhaust and had AC.It also had a 355 posi and the car was pretty quick and handled very well for it's time period.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I always loved the colonnade bodied pontiacs! would love to have that green goat or can am!

I never got caught up in the weight thing in my cars... I don't drag them, and today's technology, there's always going to be something out there to help these things handle better if you want...
my old '74 impala had a base curb weight of 4169lbs, before adding the a/c, power windows, etc..
images
(not mine, this one's in WAY better condition!)
when it would just glide along the freeway at 70mph, you really didn't care how heavy it was.... till you had to stop, that is....

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It wasn't a 3rd gen A body, my '72 Monte's build sheet listed the shipping weight of be over 4200 lbs. It was a 350 2bbl/TH350 with A/C, vinyl top, bench seat car that was a hair above no options. I think advertised they were to come in around 3600 lbs.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I'm pretty sure the 73's weighed more than the 72's. People were becoming more safety conscious in the mid 70's and nothing is safer than Mass in a collision. I'll take mass over airbags or "crumple zones" anyday. A "5 star" Honda civic head on with a "1 Star" Z71 Silverado club cab, everyone dies in the Honda, no scratches to the occupants of the Silverado

I would have loved to modify an S3 or Can Am back when they were cheap. I had opportunities to buy them, but when NOBODY is drag racing them or autocrossing them, even though they'll easily take a big motor and the suspension is the basically the same as the earlier cars, something has to be up. Mass is that something.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Everyone says "that's a big car" about my 67; it's hollow sheetmetal. I weighed it at Norwalk one year- 3575lbs with a half tank of gas, full interior, spare, etc. The only "weight savings" at the time were manual trans/ brakes/ steering, 9" rear, and aluminum heads and intake.

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
It's not quite an apples to oranges comparison, but in the mid 70s I seem to recall the Allison brothers got famous racing the Malibu and Monte Carlo. My point is, you COULD make them fast and quick.
Ah the good old days when NASCAR was still NASCAR (stock car) not the IROC type of race it's evolved into. How many cars on the track today can you go to a dealer and buy a copy that even looks the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor