Chevy dash with a/c into Buick without

Status
Not open for further replies.

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
Do you have the heat only box under the dash? It's possible the previous owner swapped a heat only box into the car and left the ac vents and ducts in the car.

I guess this is maybe what I need to know. Can I swap in the Monte Carlo A/C ducting and use my heat only box?

If I use my factory heater controls and get a panel for under the steering column for the vent door cables?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I would say you have a unicorn non AC Buick looking at that photo. I can't imagine anyone would go through the effort to build a blockoff plate. That's the first non AC Buick I have seen. Can you get a photo of what the vent looks like from the back side, is it one solid molded piece or screwed in somehow?

Blake442 on the forum has swapped an ac olds to heat only, i assume most of that knowledge would transfer if you want want to ask.

I would say pulling the vents out of the mcss is the best call if your serious about swapping the dash. I can't say for sure if the vent tubes are the same between makes or heat only vs ac.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Would I need to track down ducts and a lower steering column panel from a Monte Carlo without a/c? Can I use any of the Buick stuff? Or will the a/c ducting be fine with a heat only box if I switch the heater controls and get the right under column panel?
Before I forget & not sure if you know it, you can use the lower column cover from the Monte dash by just removing the lap cooler outlet & replace it with the vent cables unless the Buick ones are different than the Chevy. But GM was cheap with our cars so it should work.

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What about keep looking for a Regal dash, the last two Regals I bought an 85' and my 86' both had mint original dashes.

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
I would say you have a unicorn non AC Buick looking at that photo. I can't imagine anyone would go through the effort to build a blockoff plate. That's the first non AC Buick I have seen. Can you get a photo of what the vent looks like from the back side, is it one solid molded piece or screwed in somehow?

Attachments

• IMG_20200719_140457139.jpg
    IMG_20200719_140457139.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20200719_140501515.jpg
    IMG_20200719_140501515.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 142

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I did a dash swap from an 86 El Camino with air to my 79 Monte Carlo without air. The duct work is slightly different for the car with air as well as the glove box pocket. The door face from the glove box is fine just the shape of the rear pocket will not work. The duct work you need would be in any G body Chevy including the Malibu/Malibu Classic/ El Camino as well as the Monte Carlo lines without air.

Last edited:

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
I did a dash swap from an 86 El Camino with air to my 79 Monte Carlo without air. The duct work is slightly different for the car with air as well as the glove box pocket. The door face from the glove box is fine just the shape of the rear pocket will not work. The duct work you need would be in any G body Chevy including the Malibu/Malibu Classic/ El Camino as well as the Monte Carlo lines without air.
Hmm. So this is probably the end of this idea. I don't mind tearing things apart and swapping parts around, but if I need to go hunting for ducts from a third car I really just don't have the time.

What about keep looking for a Regal dash, the last two Regals I bought an 85' and my 86' both had mint original dashes.

I never really was looking for a Regal dash. I'll probably end up cleaning and reinstalling mine. I just like the Monte SS dash better.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I never really was looking for a Regal dash. I'll probably end up cleaning and reinstalling mine. I just like the Monte SS dash better.
For me the only dash I would consider an upgrade would be the GP dash since it has a great layout for adding aftermarket gauges other than that I prefer the dashes that came factory in their respective cars.

• Agree

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
For me the only dash I would consider an upgrade would be the GP dash since it has a great layout for adding aftermarket gauges other than that I prefer the dashes that came factory in their respective cars.

Oh yeah. Definitely wouldn't be considering it just for fun. I'm not sure it would be an upgrade either. But the Monte is an 86, already a V8 and uses the newer style wiper motor... And doesn't smell like mouse at all even. Though I found a nest under the rear seat....

I was thinking if I could get the dash steering column, wiring harness and ducting all as a package deal it might be the solution to most of my problems. Just by throwing money at it instead of cleaning piss and fixing wiring harnesses... Lmao

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
I did a dash swap from 81 malibu to 86 regal. Had to swap all wiring harness(engine,headlights,taillights, dash, wipers,etc from front to back of car to 86 regal specs. Also changed steering columns do to the location of wiper switch. Malibu was on dash,regals on column. If you are buying a donor vehicle to do the swap thats the only way it would work. The ducts are different per brand of dash buick,olds,chevy,pontiac etc. The main ac/heat stuff that bolts to firewall is the same for all gbodys. 78-81 dash wiring harness/ engine harness are different than 82-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor