Chevy engine knock when cold and under load

Status
Not open for further replies.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
well if its a piston knock.... ehh. My el camino has one and run it all out most of the time. It's nothing to worry about. Even gm said no to care when the new LS series motors came out the aluminum sleeves would make the piston knock until it warmed up.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
see yeah im use to that i had an 02 chevy pickup that would do it when cold for about 10 seconds then it would stop, even if i let it warm up or not lol it would always do it for about 10 seconds on take off then never again. i guess it does sound alot like that, only it does it for a long time.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
At the dealer way back in the 90's and the 2000's we had a lot of engines that had piston slap while cold , as the engine warms up it gradually goes away. GMC, Chevrolet, even Buick told customers that it is normal. My best friend has a 1999 GMC with a 5.3, he bought new, when you start it the damn thing sounds like the pistons are swapping holes. GMC told owners to use Mobil one and not worry about it..
If you bitched about it long enough they would replace the pistons with ones that have teflon coating on the skirts. And install an oil pump with a floating pick up. (the slide rule boys said some of the original ones where touching the bottom of the pan causing the knock.) :blam: Seriously I couldn't make this stuff up.

Jim F

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2010
The piston noise in the later Vortec 5.3 & 5.7 is not a problem, as stated by GM.
In 95 your Tahoe is the TBI engine (throttle body injected).
You need to determine if it is piston noise or main bearing knock. This engine was common to have main bearing noise, just after start up, when cold. It was due to the plumbing involved on the oil cooler lines and idle speed condition. The cure for most of them was a prom replacement in the computer, which gave the engine a lower idle speed when cold, for a few moments to get oil moving in the system. This knock usually only lasted for 3-4 seconds. Piston noise, if no oil consumption is going on, is not gonna be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor