OLDS Choke problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Honestly , I cannot agree or disagree........... but you choke coil appears to have no wires or am I wrong ?
I didn't see any on his carb, just the hot air tubes after reading you post. For the Chevy A-body application of the LD5 231does have the electric choke per the Chevrolet wire diagram books I have ('78, '79, '80, '81)

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Olds used the hot air choke till 1990. Check adjustment but I have seen the coil fail or the tubes rot out in the intake. Either one will cause the choke to stay on.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I have this if you want it
20200424_171928.jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I would convert it to an electric, but that's just me

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
I have this if you want it
View attachment 143818
Thanks for the offer fleming but I think electric might be the way to go...I see the 231 mentioned a lot but its a 307 84' Hurst...don't know if it's the original carb or not. Car was bought in NY over 20 years ago by the guy I got it from. Had a crappy repaint before he had it and some BS exhaust work done. Other than that it's a super solid car and I bought it right.

Olds G's

Greasemonkey
Apr 6, 2020
CT
It looks like a Y or a -9 motor. Hot air choke it looks like as G Body Guru and Flemming 442 said. My E4MC carb looks like yours. I have an '84 Supreme with a 307 Y that is all stock. My hot air choke is full closed, cold, engine off. As the car warms up, the choke opens up. If I shut the engine off, the choke is still all the way open until it starts to cool down, then it closes as it cools. I have the chassis manual for this adjustment but it calls out for special tools (of course) and can get pretty involved. The guys in this thread may have some good advise to add but this is the basic idea of what you are looking for. You may have to remove the rivets to make an adjustment. Of course you'll have to get some screws or rivets prior to close back up.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I used to not like the hot air choke, kind of prefer it now. Actually it is better than the electric which always comes on a certain amount unless the tension is set very light. The hot air choke basically stays off until the motor is basically cold again.

• Agree

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I don't know what I'm doing,so I would yank it off and send it to Everyday for a rebuild and electric conversion.
The minute linkage adjustments are what made my brain hurt on Q-jets. I haven't seen a dissatisfied customer yet.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
I have access to a manual so I might check into adjusting it...have a full plate painting a truck this week so probably get to it next weekend.

Reactions: 1 users

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Don't convert it to electric. It's pointless. Never understood why everybody's obsessed with always wanting to do that.... Just follow procedure in your manual. Whatever the issue is it will be a cheap fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor