Chrome air cleaner lid

Trader history (0)

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
I’m in need of a nice looking chrome air cleaner lid for my 87 442. Mine has some rust on it that the plating guy says is too hard to repair. Or if anyone knows of a plating company that can restore it I would appreciate that information also.

Thanks

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you're rechroming it, you don't even need it to be from a 442 in the first place. What you're looking for is the 2nd gen 86 through 1988 Olds V8 air cleaner lid without the bead around the top. The shape is all the same, just the finish differs.

Example:

Reactions: 2 users

turbogeezer

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2012
I’m in need of a nice looking chrome air cleaner lid for my 87 442. Mine has some rust on it that the plating guy says is too hard to repair. Or if anyone knows of a plating company that can restore it I would appreciate that information also.

Thanks
I use Custom Chrome in Grafton Ohio. You might think about finding another lid. The painted lids for the G bodies 4bbl engines are the same as your chrome lid.

Reactions: 1 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
I was told that because of the shape it would be to hard to rechrome… perhaps I should find another shop, I’ll try the one in grafton. Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I was told that because of the shape it would be to hard to rechrome… perhaps I should find another shop, I’ll try the one in grafton. Thanks
It might be hard, but GM apparently found a vendor to do it. If a chroming vendor says it would be too hard, you need to find another guy. Sure, that little crevice by the edge is a **** to chrome correctly, but that's why GM painted that area black. To hide the flaws. Discuss that detail with anyone doing the chrome job as if they want to balk because it may not turn out too well in the crevice, tell them it'll get taken care of by painting as that's what GM vendors did. Maybe that'll make a difference.

It's hard to tell if every G-body V8 had the same lid. They didn't have a separate p/n for the lid except for the chrome ones. They came with the entire air cleaner. But there are some Chevys I've seen with what appears to be a 15" lid with the same shape. If it comes with an A348C air filter, then it's likely a good candidate.

Reactions: 1 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
I called that place in grafton Ohio and they said no problem… probably going to cost about 350 bucks but it’ll look good. Thanks for the help.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor