Classic Economy Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yes, it seems like an absurd topic, but bear with me. Today's economy models do everything well, but lack a soul. Even the Cobalt does not have a bad engine and trans in it, but does it have any style at all? Not really. It's about as generic as a late 90's Corolla. So, why not combine the excellent mechanicals of a newer ho hum econo cruiser with the style of a classic compact or subcompact car? It would not have to be all powerful, just peppy and reliable. I have quite a few ideas in this vein, some of which have been done. For a RWD engine, I would use the Nissan KA series 2.4 lite 4 cylinder with the 5 speed transmission (the engine that came in my 303k mile Frontier). 155net hp may not sound like much, but compared to maybe 90 net hp that came stock in a Maverick, Rambler American, or Datsun PL510, it would be a real step up. It would use less gas and be quicker. Plus, it's lighter than the old L6 engines and shorter too, so you would get better weight distribution. For FWD cars like the Mini or an old Civic, or even a Datsun 210 there are plenty of good reliable choices from boring current models of 4 door rental cars to choose from.

So, what do you think? What old crapbox car would you play with if you had the chance?

Unfortunatley I think the more engineers learn about aerodynamics the more boring cars are destin to become. I could be wrong though because dodge and chrsyler have been coming out with some mean looking cars latley.

The thing that bothers me the most about modern cars body design, is how all body lines end high in the back. It makes for really shitty blind spots when backing up. When i first got the regal i thought it would be a hard car to back up, because it was so big, its actually easier.

I almost forgot my all time favorite crapbox: Richard Hammond's Opel Kadet "Oliver" from the Top Gear Africa trip. 😀

I have my fave econo crap box a 52 hilman minx 3 door wagon but I may turn it into a drag car just to **** w people can we say blown mouse ?????

I would love to roll around in a clean Vega Estate wagon (the ones with woodgrain) with a cobalt ss ecotec(supercharged or turbocharged) and a 5 speed swapped in!

Another good one I think would be a '62 Olds F-85 wagon (the tiny chevy II bodied ones) with the same ss ecotec and a 5 speed...

dont hate... but i have always been a fan of 4cyl mustangs with a manual and ford zypher/futura.

also falcon wagon's..

Well.... The Solstice/Sky would be a better donor since it is already RWD.

As for the Hillman Minx, what a cool old car! You almost never see Rootes Group cars anymore. It's so small that a small block would add too much weight. I'd look into a high output 60 degree V6 or turbo 4 instead. That way, you could make it quiet and it would be a great sleeper! If you must go V8, how about the Buick 215 aluminum V8, or one of it's more modern iterations as seen in Rovers, and other British Leyland vehicles? It's super light weight ( about the same as some iron block 4's) and compact. You could even get the manual trans from a TR8.

crappycutlass said:
dont hate... but i have always been a fan of 4cyl mustangs with a manual and ford zypher/futura.

also falcon wagon's..

How about a Falcon Ranchero with a 2.3 turbo 4 from a T bird Turbo Coupe, along with it's T-5 manual trans? Add some 3.23 gears and widened 13 in steelies with dog dish caps too!

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Well.... The Solstice/Sky would be a better donor since it is already RWD.

Good call, I should've thought of that...

How far back do you have to go to be classic?

Off the top of my head you would have to say the gen 1 and 2 CRX and 87-91 Civics and earlier CVCC. The AE86 Corolla, Datsun 210 and the Chevy Vega.

However the ULTIMATE classic econo-box would have to be the original Beetle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor